Chapter 3: Goodnight...Goodbye

Mike's POV

"Guys! We're done cleaning up. It's time to go," Nancy called to us across the room. She was standing near Jonathan. El and I parted.

I turned back to El. Tears were streaming down her delicate face. She looked like she was trying to hold all of her emotions in.

I wrapped my arms around her, "It's okay, it's okay," I said as she cried into my shoulder. I didn't was to see her like this so I buried my face in her hair. After a minute or so, I let go of her and took her hand. She was trembling.

We walked towards the door, where the rest of the party had moved to. And Max.

Dustin turned around as he heard Eleven's sniffling. I let go of her hand so she could say goodbye to them.

She hugged them one by one. But she walked right past Max. Max looked distraught.  I had never seen her look so sad before. I shook my head and intertwined El's hand with mine.

I led her outside. Hopper's truck was pulled up and the headlights shown out to the road.

Joyce was there too and she quickly ran to hug Eleven tightly, my hand slipping from hers.

Joyce let go of El and kissed her head softly. She turned to me, "I called Karen. You're allowed to have a sleepover with Will tonight, since it's so late," she turned to the other boys, "Oh! And your parents also said that you guys could come over," she spotted Max looking forlorn, "And if you want to come over too sweetheart, that'd be fine," Joyce put a hand out and squeezed Max's arm and smiled. Max beamed back.

"Thanks, I would love that," Max and Lucas smiled at each other.

El moved away from Joyce and she slid her hand back into mine. I looked at her. Her chocolate brown eyes were sparkling.

"We should start saying goodbye now. I have to go to the station early tomorrow," Hopper had gotten out of the truck and was now leaning on it.

We both turned to Hopper. He seemed tired. But he also seemed like he was in a good mood.

El looked at me with her beautiful eyes, tears ready to overflow out of them. I breathed in and out, willing myself not to cry too. I didn't work.

I let the tears stream down my face, "Eleven-El-I don't think I can say goodbye again."

She cried, "I don't think I can say-good-goodbye either."

I knew we had to. I knew that El didn't understand everything but she understood that this was goodbye. For a long time.

"I-you-El..." I trailed off, not being able to finish.

"Mike..." El sobbed.

I took a shaky breath, "El, I'll wait for you. Even if it takes forever."

El's eyes shimmered, "Promise?" She asked hopefully.

I kissed the top of her head, "I promise."

We fell into another hug. It felt so natural. So safe. We let go and Hopper walked to the driver side of his car.

El's eyes widened and she gripped my hand desperately. She started breathing heavy.

"El it's okay. It's okay," I reassured her as my fingers slid away from her.

"Mike," she slid into the passenger seat and looked out the window at me.

"I love you El," I breathed under my breath as I watched her disappear down the road.  I need her.

El's POV

I watched his tear soaked face slowly fade behind me. He mouthed something. I didn't know what it was.

"Hey kid, you okay?" Hopper reached dover and touched my shoulder.

"Mike."

Hopper sighed, "I know how you feel about Wheeler, but you have to let it go. You'll see him again."

I looked back out the window. My fingers brushed over my pale pink lips, most of the gloss gone. Why was it gone?

My lips turned up into a smile. Mike.
-
-
-
I'll update soon I promise. I feel like no one actually likes this. Please comment!