Chapter 44: Yea. Different

Max's POV

I glanced over at the girl next to Mike. She was breathing hard and she seemed terrified.

"No. Bad. I-I can't. The-the b-bath. I-Mike," she blubbered, obvioulsy scared out of her mind.

I felt bad immediately for saying what I did. I didn't know that it would affect her.

I watched as Mike got up and took her to the bathroom, guiding the crying girl away.

I looked at Lucas, "What'd I do?"

He sighed, "She's-she hasn't been in a pool since two years ago, when she was trying to find Will in the Upside Down," he blurted out, looking a bit disturbed from the memory.

Will showed no signs of the aftereffect of the statement, "Yea. She hates closed up spaces and water because of the things that happened at the lab."

Dustin shrugged, "I would be scared too if I was locked away by some psychotic bastard that tortured me."

I shivered, thinking of this old man the boys sometimes talk about. He sounded like a real creep.

"I just don't want her to think that I was trying to make her scared. I just forgot."

Will put a hand on my shoulder, "It's fine. Mike can always calm her down."

Dustin chuckled slightly, "Mike's basically the only one that can. Maybe Will too."

Lucas nodded, "The moment they met, it was like they had this immediate connection. We thought she was weird, but Mike never once doubted that she could be something amazing. And he was right."

I smiled slightly. It was the first time that I had heard them really talk about how they felt about her. I should've been jealous. But I wasn't. I actually wanted to hear more about how they met her. Hearing Lucas talk about her with such admiration just made me respect him more than I already did.

"So did she and Mike, like, instantly fall in love or what?" I smirked slightly. I already knew the answer.

Dustin laughed, "I'm pretty sure he would do anything for that girl. I mean, we would too, but it's different."

"Yea. Different," I glanced at Will who was sitting across from me. He gave me a look that made me sure he knew what we were both thinking. He loved her. But Dustin and Lucas didn't know that.

I heard a door click and Mike and Eleven walked out, hand in hand. Mike looked calm and El looked bright and happy again.

Lucas started the conversation, "You okay Weirdo?"

She sat and ruffled his very short hair, "Yes I am."

"So what's the plan? Are we still going to the pool? Cause we can do something else if you want," Will chimed in, making El smile.

She shook her head, "No. I'm going to go to the pool," she looked at Mike and laughed, "I don't know how well it's gonna end but I'm gonna try to swim."

I smiled at her, "Cool!" I turned to Lucas quickly, not quite ready to meet her eyes, "So are we going out to eat or what? I'm starving," I held my stomach and feigned a faint, falling into Dustin's lap. He started fanning me, hitting my nose purposely.

I swatted at his hands playfully.

"I think we're going now and Lauren's gonna meet us there," Will stated.

Mike stood, El with him, "Great! What are we waiting for?"

I looked at Will, "Race you!"

Will looked determined and he pushed me aside, running towards the door. I landed on top of Dustin, both of us laughing.

"Fine fine. Will, you win!" I stood, pulling the curly haired boy up with me.

Will beamed triumphantly, "Why'd you think that you'd beat me this time?"

I slapped his arm, "Oh shut it."

He chuckled at me, his eyes squinting with joy. He walked next to me, in between me and Dustin. Lucas sauntered to my right, his arm grazing mine as we moved.

My breath hitched in my chest the moment I felt his hand wrap around mine. I looked down at it, blushing slightly.

His eyes were bright when I met them. Like he had a secret. I smirked at him, seeing if he would say anything. He only smiled and looked away. I was content just watching our feet move in a wonderful pattern.

I heard El shriek and I looked over to see her hoisted onto Dustin's back, "Dusty! Ahhhh!" She screeched, giggling what sounded like a song. He was laughing now too, hearing her must have been contagious.

I almost smiled off of my face when I looked at Mike. He was just watching her with a completely straight face. It was so intense, I could barely look away. Wow he was so in love.

I nudged Will to look at Mike, "Oh my god, look at him."

Will only nodded, a grin on his face, "He's in deep."

Mike broke his gaze for a moment, glancing at us and seeing our expressions.

He rolled his eyes as we both mouth an 'awe'.

"Looks like we're here!" Lucas called out, still holding onto my hand.

I squealed, "FOOD!" I pulled the dark skinned boy along with me as I ran to the door of Hungry Hammond's.

El's POV

I jumped off of Dustin's back, realizing where we were. I started to breath heavily and a flood of memories came to me.

Max and Mike sitting in the booth together. Laughter. Whipped cream.

I had to stop for a second. But Mike was too busy being dragged by Dustin into the burger place.

Will grabbed my hand, squeezing it. He raised his eyebrows, giving me a knowing glance. His eyes seemed to tell me it was okay. His gentle smile seemed to tell me that he was going to be with me the whole time.

He let go after a moment and guided me into the restaurant, Mike and the others already making their way to a large booth. The booth.

I closed my eyes, wiping the memory from my head. That stupid thing wouldn't ruin my day just because I'm 50% jealousy. I wouldn't let it.

I followed Will to the seats and sat in between him and Mike. The freckle-faced boy immediately placed his hand on mine under the table, making my cheeks rosy.

The bell on the door chimed, making me turn my head. In walked a dark haired girl in a cute outfit.

My mouth dropped open, realizing who it was.

"Lauren?!"