Chapter 19: You're All I Wanted

Lucas's POV

"Lucas stop!"

I spun around, "What?!?"

"You need to let me explain! You need to let me talk!"

We were in the hallway now. Max's voice echoed in the empty halls.

"So you and Mike are together now, I get it."

She looked furious, "NO! Just let me explain!!!"

"What is there to explain?!?! You don't care that he's not at school then you and him fall asleep in his basement? That sounds like you two had something go on!"

"We just talked! And we watched a movie! What's wrong with that?!?!"

I burst, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT?!?! SERIOUSLY?"

"YEA! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT? TELL ME! CAUSE I'M NOT UNDERSTANDING YOU!" She challenged.

"IT WAS OBVIOUSLY A DATE!!!"

"WHAT?!?!?" She exploded, "YOU ARE BEING COMPLETELY IRRATIONAL! IT WAS NOT A DATE!"

"KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT!"

Tears lined Max's eyes now, "LUCAS IT ISN'T LIKE THAT! WE'RE JUST FRIENDS! AND HE LIKES EL!" The fury vanished from her voice, now replaced with a pleading quality, "WE JUST BECAME FRIENDS! WE BARELY KNOW EACH OTHER!"

"YET YOU'RE SO CLOSE!"

"WE GET EACH OTHER NOW, OKAY?"

I shook my head, turning from her.

Her voice got quiet, "I thought- I thought you'd be happy that we were friends. I guess I was wrong."

I remained silent. I felt her move closer to me, reaching out and touching my arm, "Lucas. Please talk to me."

I wrenched my arm away, "I don't want to talk to you."

Tears now streamed down her freckled face, "Please..."

"Stop acting like you want to be with me."

Her expression cracked and through the sobs she whispered, "You're all I wanted." And with that, she ran down the hall through the double doors that exited the school.

I watched her leave, immediately regretting the argument. Why was I so jealous? I ran my fingers in my short hair, breathing deeply.

Mike's POV

I looked around the table. Where was Max? And more importantly where was Lucas? I heard the sound of muffled yelling in the hallway. Oh no.

I stood up, leaving the table behind.

"Stop acting like you wanna be with me."

"You're all I wanted."

Their voices were strained. Lucas sounded mad. But what got to me was the way Max was speaking. Quiet and calm. I've heard that voice before. El. Max was crying.

I ran into the hall, Lucas shooting me an angry glance.

I shook my head, "I can't believe you," I whispered, turning from him and following Max.

"Max wait!"

"Leave me alone Mike."

I touched her shoulder gently, "Max. Please talk to me."

She turned, years still streaming down her blotchy cheeks.

I put my arms out and she collapsed into them, sobbing uncontrollably.