The Christmas Ball

Everything was changing again in Hillwood. Thanksgiving was over and now, the attention was turned to Christmas.

Sarah managed to go shopping and buy presents for her friends and everyone at the Boarding House, managing to finish early. Afterwards, she decided to help the neighbors by washing their cars to raise money for swimming lessons. This surprised everyone, but Sarah was keen to try. It's better to learn than to sink, she said to herself. If I want gain independence, I have to start somewhere.

Arnold and Helga spent more time together; every weekend or early mornings, they would have breakfast at the cafe or in Tina Park, where they sat down on their favourite bench. Although they didn't show it at school and in front of their friends, the pair were in love. But, lately, both Helga and Arnold were having a few struggles. They kept them a secret from their family and friends, so they wouldn't feel worried about their situations.

Nothing exciting happened with Gerald, Phoebe and the gang. Even Rhonda didn't have exciting planned - though Curly was attempting to flirt with Rhonda, just to catch her attention. Much to her disapproval.

Freya and Clare were thinking of forming a band, but Sarah wasn't too keen. They wanted her join in because they thought that all of them had potential. The trouble was that Sarah couldn't play a musical instrumental and I can't sing. Though others say otherwise.

Sarah was walking by herself in the school corridors, following a Learning Support session. She was on her way back to Mr Simmon's class for another History session when out of the corner of her eye, she saw a poster. It was being posted on the wall by Phoebe who was in full spirits. Without asking, Sarah walked up to the poster; it read:

PS18's Annual Christmas Ball

Celebrate the festive season with all of your friends at PS18. With Christmas music, dancing and mince pies, it'll be the school's most wonderful time of the year.

Date: 16th December

Time: 7:30 - 10pm

Dress Code: Come in regular party clothes or dress up as your favorite character.

Non-students are also welcome.

"A Christmas Ball?"

"Oh, yes", Phoebe replied. "The annual Christmas Ball is the most popular party at PS18".

"So, it's like a school disco?"

Phoebe didn't reply.

Sarah stared at the beautifully crafted poster but rather she reaction was completely the opposite. Another ball. Great, I need a new outfit.

"Is something wrong?" Phoebe asked. "I couldn't help noticing you are sad".

"I think I won't go. I don't have anything to wear. Also, I cannot get a new outfit because I'm saving money for swimming lessons. It's more important to me than a dress".

"I couldn't help but notice all the gossip about your appearances you've made at Rhonda's Halloween and the Hillwood Girls' parties, Sarah. I overheard about how you managed to get those clothes. Did you do it yourself?"

Sarah wanted to tell, but she couldn't. She made a promise to Anthony that she wouldn't reveal the truth. "I'm afraid I don't believe in rumours", she replied. "Besides, I feel uncomfortable about it. I'm sorry for being negative, Phoebe".