Completing The Project

Arnold and Helga walked slowly on the sidewalk, as they headed towards the public library. They held hands and occasionally gazed into each other's eyes. It wasn't the weekend rush hour, but to Arnold and Helga, it felt like that they were the last two people on Earth.

They headed into the Library with intense feelings. By now, Helga was beginning to feel uncomfortable about contacting Arnold in public. But they weren't holding hands now (thank goodness).

"So, it's time to sail to Britannia", Helga said. "Hopefully she didn't sail too far".

"Yes", Arnold replied. "Let's hope not".

—-

Sarah scouted around the library; she was hoping to find something to read while she waited for Arnold and Helga. She looked all over, until she came across something familiar. Out of the corner of her eye, she found a book on Charles Perrault's classic fairytale, Cinderella. She took it from the bookshelf before finding a place to sit. Sarah was extremely careful, for she didn't want to drop her coursework.

Eventually, Sarah came across a desk. It was gigantic - just enough to fit six chairs. It was also completely empty. Sarah went to the middle chair and as she sat, she opened the cover to turn to the first page. She read the book very quietly, attempting to not disturb anyone.

Once there was a gentleman who married, for his second wife, the proudest and most haughty woman that was ever seen. She had, by a former husband, two daughters of her own, who were, indeed, exactly like her in all things. He had likewise, by another wife, a young daughter, but of unparalleled goodness and sweetness of temper, which she took from her mother, who was the best creature in the world.

No sooner were the ceremonies of the wedding over but the stepmother began to show herself in her true colors. She could not bear the good qualities of this pretty girl, and the less because they made her own daughters appear the more odious. She employed her in the meanest work of the house. She scoured the dishes, tables, etc., and cleaned madam's chamber, and those of misses, her daughters. She slept in a sorry garret, on a wretched straw bed, while her sisters slept in fine rooms, with floors all inlaid, on beds of the very newest fashion, and where they had looking glasses so large...

"Sarah?"

Sarah stopped reading the book and stood up straight. She noticed a hand touching her shoulder; it was Arnold's.

"Hey, Arnold", she said. She then noticed Helga walking towards them. "Hey, Helga".

Helga nodded her head in response, but she didn't make contact with Sarah. Sarah noticed that Helga was looking at the book.

"Cinderella, huh? Do you have a very keen interest in it?"

"Yes, Helga", Sarah replied. A small rolled down Sarah's eye, but she quickly wiped it away when her friends weren't looking. "The story is special to me. I don't know why". She was lying.

"Well, I'm sure there's an answer", Arnold replied.

"Perhaps, but it doesn't matter right now. So, where are we up to for our History project?"

Arnold and Helga were surprised. "Sarah?" they asked.

"What's wrong?"

"It's just that you never asked us that question before", Arnold replied.

"Oh, sorry. I guess I'm absent today", she explained sadly.

In a flash, Sarah opened her folder to find her notes. She looked down at her handwriting, hoping that her friends wouldn't notice her tears. As quietly as she could, Sarah took a deep breath and closed her eyes as she exhaled. But Helga wasn't going to give up that easily.