The Party

That night, Cassandra and her daughters went out for the night. Unlike Sarah, they didn't care about her Father's anniversary or Rhonda's party. (In fact, they didn't know who Rhonda really was.) All they did care about was going out again.

They left in the late afternoon, indicating that they would be out for a brief period. And as usual, Sarah was left to do the housework. Luckily, she had plenty of time.

By the time she had finished, the sun started going down. It was time for the party.

—-

As she walked out the door, Sarah made sure that the closet was clear. Once it was, she locked her flat door and placed the keys in a small blue bag.

The costume that Anthony picked for Sarah was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. She even had a little ToTo to go with her costume.

I'm going to that party with my head held high. I'm going to have a good time; I will have a good time.

Sarah was still sad about her Father but after this morning, she decided to go for it. And if it gets too much, then she can go home at anytime.

When she arrived at Rhonda's, Sarah gently knocked on the door and she was welcomed in by Nadine, who was dressed up as a butterfly.

"Sarah", she said. "You look beautiful. Come in".

Nadine led Sarah in the living room, where huge crowds were dancing and talking to each other in groups.

The crowded room really fascinated and terrified Sarah. It was like walking through the school corridors; however, Sarah felt comfortable with them now. Only if she was with someone. Sarah trusted Nadine, so she felt safe. When they walked in, Sarah noticed that all of the guests were looking at her.

"She's beautiful". "Who is this lovely Dorothy?" "Did she come over the rainbow?" "Now, that's a hidden beauty". Sarah heard all these whispers from across the room - and beside her. Still walking in, she saw familiar faces from school. But she also noticed a familiar figure who came outside of school. William Hart, dressed as Count Dracula. He was talking to Rhonda who dressed up as a Princess. However, Sarah saw that Rhonda was in shock. She thought that Rhonda was jealous and cross.

Best to walk away, Sarah thought.

"Sarah!"

Sarah saw and waved to Freya, who came dressed as Juliet from Romeo and Juliet.

"Talk about coincidence", Sarah said as she greeted Freya.

Freya knew about the fourth grade production that Arnold and Helga participated in years ago, but she also knew about Sarah's love for Shakespeare. She wasn't into Shakespeare much but she really wanted to dress up as Juliet - just because.

"Very antwacky, but sound", she smiled. 

"You are beautiful, Freya", Sarah replied. 

"How's ya?"

"Honestly, Freya. I haven't been myself today. It's about my Dad". 

"Ya Arl Fella?" 

"He died a year ago today. I didn't know the party was on that same day. I decided to come to take my mind off things. But... but..."