Making a Wish

Closing her book, Sarah yawned and placed it by her bedside table. She was about to head off to sleep when —

"Dumpling, are you awake?"

Sarah turned on her light to see a magnificent birthday cake in her hands. She was very shocked. "But my birthday isn't until New Years, Jasmine".

"I know", the Nurse replied, "but I'll be working on New Years Eve and New Years Day, Sarah. So I want to make it up to you".

Sarah smiled at Jasmine before she signed thank you:

Sarah took Molly into her arms as Jasmine placed the cake on her lap. She lit the candle on top before —

"Happy Birthday, to You. Happy Birthday to You", Jasmine sang softly, "Happy Birthday, Beautiful Sarah. Happy Birthday to You".

Sarah smiled in return and gave Jasmine a quick kiss.

"Make a wish, dumpling".

Holding Molly in her non-bandaged arm, Sarah closed her eyes before blowing out the candle; it went out with one puff. Suddenly, Sarah's spine started to shiver. She gasped very loudly.

"Are you alright, Sarah?" Jasmine asked worryingly.

"I'm fine, Jasmine, but are one of the windows open?"

Jasmine shook her head. "Why do you ask?"

"I don't know. I just felt something when I was blowing out the candle".

Jasmine put the cake on the table and checked her over. Sarah's shoulder was okay - in fact, it seemed to be healing. She checked her temperature: nothing. "That is odd", she said. "Maybe you are feeling tired. After all, you and Arnold had a long conversation today". 

"Maybe you're right", Sarah replied. "But I do like having company. You always taught me that it's important to make new friends".

Jasmine smiled in return. "So, what did you wish for, dumpling?"

"I can't tell you, Jasmine. It's a secret". 

She laughed: "I'm pulling your leg, of course I know wishes are secrets". 

Jasmine cut the cake for the Birthday girl. It was a chocolate cake (which is her favorite), layered with strawberry jam. 

"This cake is delicious, Jasmine. Thank you so much".

As she watched Sarah eating her cake, Jasmine sighed sadly. Somehow, she wasn't enjoying her piece. 

"Sarah", she said after putting her plate down, "I know you kept your wish a secret but I want to share my wish with you.

"When I brought you into this world, I never imagined myself watching you grow up into a special, beautiful and confident girl. Being a surrogate mother and a Nurse at the same time wasn't easy. I had to understand and learn your Autism, so I could give you a better life. A perfect and normal life, even if I had to teach you sign language to help you communicate. 

"But when your Father died and Cassandra took you away, I felt guilty. I knew she would treat you badly, so I tried to gain full custody. When I was given permission, it was too late. I was heartbroken when she took you away and I had to beg and plead with the Police to find you. I lost when they stopped searching. But, I never forgot you.

"I'll always love you, Sarah. You are a beautiful, a very special and intelligent girl. And that was why I wanted to keep you. Sarah, I wish I could adopt you but I can't".

Sarah was so touched by Jasmine's words that she hugged her friend. "I understand", she replied sadly. "Being a Nurse is a tricky operation but I'll never hate you for that. You don't need to adopt me to love me. You are already have. 

"And the Boarding House too. Sure, there's no piece of paper for proof but I know I have been adopted with love. That's all I want to be honest".

"I'm glad you said that, dumpling", Jasmine answered softly. She gently rubbed Sarah's back and as she closed her, Jasmine began to have multiple flashbacks of her and Sarah. Delivering her in the hospital that was their second home, teaching Sarah to sign, her first steps, when her father bought Molly for her seventh birthday, walking to school by herself for the first time and the day of her father's passing: she remembered them all. Tears slowly fell down her eyes as she held onto Sarah. She didn't know why she was having them. 

Sarah didn't know either but unlike Jasmine, she didn't hear her cry. Jasmine tried to fight back her tears, so Sarah couldn't react to them. She didn't know Sarah had got over her fear but Sarah wanted Jasmine to find it out herself. 

"Well", said Jasmine, "it's time for bed, dumpling". She coughed to release the tension in her throat. "Now, I'm going to put the cake in the fridge. Remember, Sarah, don't eat it all. Leave some for Arnold and the residents, okay?"     

"Okay, Jasmine. I bet Arnold will prefer it to Christmas pudding", Sarah giggled. 

"I think it's up to Arnold to decide. You can offer but don't force him to eat it". 

"Alright, Jasmine. You'll be still my surrogate sister". 

"I know", Jasmine replied sadly. "Merry Christmas, dumpling". 

"Merry Christmas, Jasmine. I love you".  Exhausted, she fell asleep.