Brother and Sister

When the shock and celebration of Sarah's adoption was over, Sarah and Arnold headed back to the tree to open their presents. They adored the presents they received from their family and friends; even Arnold and Sarah liked their presents from each other. Somehow, Sarah managed to get Arnold a book on herbal medicine and a DVD of a recent favorite Sci-Fi movie. Arnold got Sarah a bright emerald green causal dress and beautiful silver locket.

"Helga helped me pick out the locket", he confessed. "Guess she knew silver was your favorite color". 

"It's beautiful, Arnold", Sarah replied. "Thank you so much". 

In the middle of it all, the telephone rang. The call was from Jasmine who was on her break. Phil told her what happened and everything was a success. Sarah had an opportunity to talk Jasmine for a few minutes. On the phone, Jasmine told Sarah that everything was going to be okay. 

"I'll always be here if you need anything. If you feel sad or you don't know what to do, I'll always be there to help you. Just say the word and I'll be there for you". 

"I promise, Jasmine".

Following the call, all the residents and the Shortmans' had Christmas dinner and afterwards, Phil took Arnold and Sarah into his Packard; they drove around the city to see the Christmas lights after Sarah told Arnold about the lights she used to see in Oxford Circus. After they came back, Sarah said that Hillwood had the most beautiful lights in the world. 

"Better than Oxford Circus?" Phil asked her.

"Much better", was her reply. 

In the evening, everyone decided to put some music on. In the drowning sounds of Christmas music, a lot of activity was taking place. Mistletoe's were hung in the air for kisses, voices were crying out for sing along's to traditional carols and musical hits; and there were sounds of cheers as Miles and Stella were dancing together, next to the Christmas tree. 

Sarah had so much fun watching them but she felt sad. The last time she danced was when she had to say goodbye to Anthony. She thought that she would never dance again; surely, Arnold wouldn't ask me, Sarah thought sadly. But, again, she was wrong.       

"You owe me a dance", said Arnold and without another word, he took Sarah by the hand and they began to dance. Miles and Stella also came to join them; soon, the whole family danced together and when Jasmine came in from the hospital, she watched them with a smile on her face. 

Jasmine was glad to see Sarah happy; she knew that adoption was the right option. Now, Sarah's troubles were over and she can finally live in a safe home with a loving family. She had never been so happy. 

--    

Later that night, Sarah was in her bedroom, completing her special project for New Year's. Lying in bed with Molly was under the duvet next to her. She managed to finish it within twenty minutes. It took her a few weeks but she managed to finish her homework a week early. All she had to do was to show and edit it with her family or Jasmine and it'll be good to go. As she put her pen down, Sarah saw Arnold opening the door. 

"Sarah, you need to see this. Oh, bring Molly with you too. She'll love it". 

Sarah climbed out of her bed, carried Molly into her arms and leaving her homework behind, she followed Arnold into his room. Inside the room and on the floor, there were two sleeping bags. All the lights were dimmed down and right above the glass roof, Sarah could see snow, falling from the sky. 

"The snow wasn't part of the plan", said Arnold, "but everything else is. I was hoping for stars".

"No, this is perfect", Sarah replied. "Molly and I have never seen snow before".

"You didn't have snow in London?" Arnold was very shocked. 

"No, London does have snow but only a little. I never got a chance to see the snow properly since I spent most of my life in the hospital". 

"So, you are starting to catch up?"

"I am, but it's all worth really. I couldn't ask for more". 

The pair (along with Molly) climbed into their sleeping bags; they began to look into the clouds above them. For a moment, they stared up in silence but when Sarah raised her hand in the air, Arnold broke the silence. 

"Trying to catch the snow to place it in your finger tips?" he asked.

"Yes", replied Sarah, "but, I'm also saying goodbye". 

Arnold understood; she was letting the past go and saying her farewells to her biological father. Watching Sarah's hands was like watching a baby waiting to be lifted from it's cradle. He saw tears rolling down her eyes and as Sarah brought her hand down to the ground, Arnold gently took it into his. 

"I know", he said sadly.

With those words, Sarah gently closed her eyes and she fell asleep into Arnold's arms. Arnold watched his sister, smiling in slumber while he wiped her tears.

Reflecting back to three months previously, Arnold had been reunited with my parents after his adventure in San Lorenzo, he began in a love relationship with Helga (the girl who was always bad) and he made new friends when he started sixth grade. Now, he had a sister who was one of his best friends. He had a memorable year and a quick one at that. 

Sarah, on the other hand, had been abused, used and mistreated by her step family. She gave up hope when she moved to America but it was her salvation. In these three months, she made new friends, was taken in by a caring family, was included in groups, and clubs; was reunited with her old friend and was given the gift of adoption - and a new brother. She had an eventful end to the year, which began a negative start.

Dreams came true that day and everyone was sincerely happy. They have never been so happy in their entire lives. And, as Phil would say to end a story: All's well that ends well.

~ The End ~