Thirty Eight

It was amazing how quickly I'd reach the headquarters the next morning, bag and coat already tossed on the photoshoot chair.

Taehyung was there as per usual, awaiting my normally late presence.

Seeing me arrive so early had his eyebrow quirking.

"My, my," he purred, crossing his arms, "Maybe I should bring mom here often. It'll fix your tardiness in minutes."

"Shut up," I said, rolling my eyes at the mere thought of her. "The only reason she's still walking on two legs is cause she's your mother. I'd have given her a verbal lashing the second she accused me."

The man put a hand on his chest, just above where his heart beat, a little faster. "All that resistance to bury my mom six feet underground for me? I'm truly honoured."

I shot him a look. "I'm surprised you haven't thrown her out. You weren't exactly jumping with joy on her arrival."

A long pause emanated from him. "It's..." a sigh. "It's complicated. I'll explain it all in Daegu."

He looked to the green background of the photoshoot. "Showing you would be easier than confessing it all in words."

I shrugged, still a little wary of what he said. "Okay."

The designer called for the cameramen, assigning me on makeup with Hoseok as he set the scene up.

Finalising my winter attire, I walked up to the set, the thick boots thudding against the floor.

Fixing my hat, I braced my hands on my hips, eyes on the camera, willing my lips into a tease of a smile.

Just as Taehyung's order to start snapping photos went ahead, the door slammed open.

My eyes averted from the camera and to the door.

Oh for fuck's sake.

Standing there at the doorway, looking like an elite fashion icon, stood Mrs. Kim, her eyes instantly locking with mine.

A little smirk lingered on those blood red lips.

"Ah, so sorry I'm late, Taehyung," she started, strolling towards her son in an arrogant stride.

"Who brought you here?" He asked instead, exasperation clear in his voice.

Hoseok came hurrying to the door, making eye contact with me. He had a sheepish look on his face, as if saying, sorry I couldn't stop her.

I only gave him a reassuring smile, fading quickly as I turned towards Mrs. Kim. "What are you doing here?"

The woman dusted at her black fur coat, soon resting her intense gaze upon me.

And what a stare it was. The very gesture nearly had me hiding behind the green screen.

So this is where Taehyung gets his icy nature from. And that fucking glare of his.

"Seeing the apparent love of my son's life doing her job," she remarked. "Or is that illegal in this damned building?"

"You said you'd be in Daegu," Taehyung said, seeing the anger threatening to burst from my face and quickly taking over conversation.