Thirteen

Oh, god, my head is killing me. And the sound of my door opening doesn't help it. I groaned as the stench of food fills my nostrils. Oh, no. I think the alcohol is coming back up. I quickly pushed the sheets off me and ran towards the bathroom. Everything came out. I kept groaning as the vile taste escapes me.

"May this be a lesson the next time you drink," Uncle Cam said as he places the tray down. "Not like you'll listen anyway." I looked up to see him leaning against the door with a glass of water and some aspirin. "You know, I heard eating might help. Get a greasy hamburger with onions -" ew "eggs, bacon -" Oh, no, it's coming back up "- with some pickle juice might help."

The metallic taste fills my mouth again before I leaned over the toilet. "I hate you," I said while Uncle Cam chuckled.

"I know you do," he replied. He walked over and handed me the aspirin. "Here, helps with the headache." I took it gratefully. "How you feeling?"

"Like I've been run over by a bus."

"Well, good thing Olivia called me to get you. I was afraid you might do something you'll regret."

I grunted. "I'm already regretting it."

"Now..." He took the glass and set it on the sink before sitting at the edge of the tub. "Mind telling me why you and Roman were at a bar? How did you even get in?"

I sat up, ignoring my aching body. "The getting in was easy. Roman just gave the guy the 'you have any fucking idea who I am' speech, guy was annoyed but he got a good tip." Uncle Cam looked annoyed and that he wanted to punch Roman. "Don't blame Roman, Uncle Cam. I just found out something and Roman wanted to take my mind off it."

"If that was the case, then why don't you talk to me. We don't talk like we use to. Who knows, maybe I could fix it?"

Yeah, right. Hey, Uncle Cam, guess what? Peter is a werewolf. He, Roman, and I are chasing this vargulf who killed Bluebell. And I'm going to die. I can't tell him that.

I flushed the toilet before sitting on the it, the lid closed. "Ok. I'm scared."

"Of?"

Everything that's going on. "The killings. I mean, nothing bad ever happens at Hemlock Grove and suddenly this guy goes on a murder spree. What if he comes after the people I care about? I -" I shook my head "- I don't want to wake up the next day and find out that someone found your body in a ditch."

Not exactly a lie. I think about the vargulf coming after Cam. I don't want to find his body ripped apart in a park somewhere. He's my only family left.

His gaze softens as he brought me in for a hug. "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere." He pulled me closer. "I think about that, too. Every day. Before you go to school. When you head out. When they found those girls. I'm worried if something happened to you. You are my niece and it's my job to make sure you grow up happy. You don't know how many times I got worried when you're not at home or if you don't call. But I know you're safe because you're with your friends...or Roman."

"I just don't want you to end up like Mom and Dad."

"I know you miss them, Lyanna. I always think about them."

"But you hated my dad."

"Because he married my sister. I had to play the protective brother. Now I'm the protective, yet favorite, Uncle."

"You're my only uncle."

I could tell he was smirking. "Exactly. And your favorite uncle still needs to ground you."

Oh, come on.

》》》》

So my 'favorite' uncle had to work again. I don't mind because there are times his boss let's me come with him to see if I like the music they're booking. I took another nap in hopes of stopping my dizziness, which worked. I remember what happened. I can't believe I embarrassed myself at the bar like that. I can never go there again. Not in a million years.

I grabbed my phone to call Roman. My punishment involves calling him and Olivia to apologize for my behavior. I still can't leave the house under any circumstance for the next two weeks. Could be worst. He could have change the WiFi password.

I heard a knock on my door. I furrowed my brows before answering it. I got even more confused when I saw a woman on the otherside.

"Excuse me, are you Lyanna Brekker?" She asked.

I nodded. "Yes. Who are you?"

She smiled. "I'm sorry. I'm Dr. Chasseur, special agent with the US Fish and Wildlife Services." Something about her smile seemed off. "Mind if I come in?"

I opened the door more widely. "Come in." She nodded before strolling in. I closed the door. "Would you like some water or anything?"

Chasseur shook her head. "No, thank you." She started looking around the house. Each photo. All the furniture as she made her way inside the living room. "You have a lovely home."

"Thank you?" Something's off about her. "Sorry, not to be rude or anything, but why are you here?"

She finally looked at me. "I wanted to talk to you about Bluebell's killer."

"Bluebell?" Why did she want to know?

"I understand that you were at Kilderry Park after her murder. With Roman Godfrey and Peter Rumancek?"

How did she know that? Was she following us or something? "Yeah. We star gazing."

She raised her eyebrow at me. "Really?" I nodded. "Your friend, Peter, told me that you guys were catching fireflies." She talked to Peter? When did she talk to Peter?

"I know. We star gazed and caught fireflies. We're not going to spend five hours just to star gaze." I don't like the way she's looking at me. Or asking me these questions like if I killed Bluebell.

"So Peter didn't turn into a werewolf in front of you?"

I kept my face bank. I can't show her how shocked I am. "Werewolf?"

She nodded. "You know, creature of the night. Human by day, sheds to a skin of a wolf at the full moon. Bloodlust on high."

I shook my head. "Peter doesn't shed skin." He rips it off and eats it. "I understand that he's hairy, but that doesn't mean he's a werewolf. I think you've been reading too much fanfiction."

"Miss Brekker, you know lying to an officer is a felony, right?"

"Yeah, but I'm not lying. And you're not really a cop."

Her lips went to a tight line. "I understand why you want to protect your friend. Seems like a good kid. Or maybe he's threatening you. Or maybe you're protecting your little crush."

I crossed my arms. "I'm not protecting anyone. Peter isn't a werewolf. That's scientific fact. They're not real. Those rumors around the school are total bull shit because some pretty girl decided to spread it. And I don't like the way you're treating me. So, unless, I'm being charged with something, get the fuck out of my house. I'm pretty sure you can't question me unless my guardian is present."

Dr. Chasseur nodded before walking towards the door. "Thank you for your time." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a card. "And if you see a change in your friend, don't be afraid to call me."

I gave her tight smile. "Sure thing."

"I hope I see you around, Miss Brekker."

I gave her a final wave. I made sure she walked towards her car before closing the door. That was close. I ran over to the window and drew back the curtain to make sure she actually left. When her car was out of my driveway I ran towards the phone. Bad on my part because I stubbed my toe on the corner of the chair, which made me fell.

I quickly dialed Peter's number. "Umm, we've got a problem."