Fifteen

Flashback

You think Roman not talking to me wouldn't bug the hell out of me, but it does. Like, he hasn't talked to me at all. Each time I tried to talk to him about the project, he just hands me his part of the paper. Even though I know he didn't do it. And I hate that glare he gives me. Ugh, why does this bother me so much?

At least it's Nutrition time, not that I like the food here anyway. I was just picking at my leftover pasta salad from yesterday as people piled into the cafeteria. When people moved out of the way, I looked up to see Roman coming inside. We were staring at each other for moment before his stare became a glare. He grabbed a random sophomore's lunch and left the room.

"He likes you, you know?" I heard. I snapped my head up to see a girl with curly blonde hair standing across from me. I gave her a confused look. "I'm sorry for noticing. I'm Letha. Roman's cousin."

I scrunched my nose up. "You're related to that dumbass?"

Letha ignored me and took it upon herself to sit down. "You're Lyanna?" I nodded. "He talks about you all the time."

That made me want to snort. "Sure he does," I said sarcastically. "He's probably talks about the girl who's annoys the hell out of him."  I took a sip of my water. "I don't understand how Shelley is related to him either. She's so sweet and funny, Roman is just...blah."

"Because you never got the chance to know him."

"Trust me, I know him long enough." I am his stupid partner.

"That's just Roman's way of coping with things. But I've seen the way his eyes spark when he talks about you. And I know you like him, too." I actually snorted. "Don't you think I noticed the way you looked at him across the hall. The way either of you look at each other when the other thinks they're not."

I sighed. "Look, Letha, Roman even admitted that he can get any girl he wants. But once they see how much of a douchebag he is, they'll run."

"Which is good for you. You could finally have a nice chat with Roman and -"

I raised my eyebrow at her "And what? We yell at each other? Call each other names? Me commenting about how his right hand is his best friend?" I bit my lip. "Or the fact that even though he's so irritating and selfish, I can't get him out of my head."

Letha's eyes brightened. "Exactly. And I know my cousin, he won't admit anything. But he might if you will."

Flashback Over

The car ride was completely silent. I could see Roman looking at me through the mirror. He knows something is up with me, but I can't tell him. Not yet. Hell, it looked like he wanted to say something, but decided against it. So he looked at Letha instead.

"Remember that guy lying in the road the night of the dance? The one who saw Brooke Bluebell?" He asked. A small shiver went down my spine. I didn't forget. The way he roughly grabbed my wrist and nearly screamed at my face that Roman is going to kill me. The bruise is just starting to fade.

Letha nodded. "Yeah."

"I was thinking maybe you could talk to your pops, see if you can find out more about him."

"Like what?" Like if he was off his meds that night.

"Like, um, something that might not have made the papers." I know what he's doing. Peter and I exchanged a look through the mirror. Roman needs to stop asking Letha or else she's going to suspect something is going on, even though there is.