Twenty-Nine

My hand gripped Roman's as I stayed by his bedside. I haven't left his house at all. I don't know how this could have happened. Roman was fine and suddenly he's in a coma. I was starting to worry. What if he never wakes up? No, I can't think like that. Roman is going to wake up. I know he's going to wake up.

"What happened?" I heard Letha. I didn't open my eyes. I was so tired but I didn't want to go home. I wanted to see if Roman was ok. I wanted to be here when he wakes up.

"A drug overdose," Olivia said.

"Can we talk downstairs?" Norman asked.

I heard footsteps so Olivia and Norman must have left. Letha walked over and slowly shook my shoulder.

"Lee," she whispered. My eyes slowly blinked open. Dry tears stained my cheek as I sat up straighter. "You ok? How long were you here?"

I sniffled while wiping my eyes. "Umm...I never left. I didn't want to leave him alone." I looked down at Roman. My thumbs slowly started to rub over his knuckles. "I don't know what happened, Letha. He seemed fine last night."

"What happened last night?" she asked.

I wanted to tell her about him finding out that she's sleeping with Peter. He actually caught them, but I didn't want to upset her or have her worry more. "We went to my house and watched movies. He said he was coming back but I woke up with the bed empty. I looked around his usual spots but couldn't find him. Then I came here and found him..." I shook my head as more tears started to pool out. "I know Roman. It wouldn't have been a drug overdose."

Letha nodded. "I know." We heard my phone ring and we looked down at the screen to see my Uncle Cam calling. I shook my head before I ignored it. "Everything good between you and Cam?"

I shook my head. "No, not really. He just..." I sighed. "He just isn't happy that I'm with Roman. He actually thought Roman went out and cheated on me."

Letha furrowed her brows. "That's crazy. Everyone knows how much Roman loves you."

"Tell that to him. Cam is so set up on keeping me and Roman apart. Like telling me that I need to spend some time away from him or to break up with him because long-distance relationships never work out. I knew Cam hated Roman but..." I sighed. "Lately, he's been more focused on leaving. Like once we leave Hemlock Grove all of our problems are going to just disappear."

Unless I die first.

Letha placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Don't let this move worry you. I know Roman and he'll do everything he can to visit you. Maybe he'll bring me and Shelley with him and we could have some girl time. And maybe I can convince him to bring Peter. You could show us what Manchester has to offer."

I smiled. "That actually sounds nice." It slowly faltered as I looked back at Roman's sleeping face. My thumb started to rub the back of his knuckles. "I just wish Roman was awake."

"He's going to wake up," Letha said determinedly. "We know he is."

Yeah, we know he is.

Flashback

I'm running around my room like crazy. I'm trying to find the perfect outfit for this date. Oh, my God, I can't believe I'm actually going out with Roman fucking Godfrey. I've never been this nervous for a date before. I mean, I was wishing that Friday came sooner and here it is. It's almost eight and I'm running around putting the finishing touches. Roman didn't tell me where we were going but to just dress fancy.

"Shit, shit, shit," I repeated over and over again. Why am I so nervous? Just a few days ago Roman and I were fucking on my bed and now we're going on a date. That happens...right?