Thirty-Two

It was awkward at dinner when I got home that night. Cam tried to make conversation but I still pissed at him. I only picked at my plate before taking it to my room. Even then, I dumped my food in the trash. I'm not that hungry anyway.

The next day at school was a little weird for me. Peter kept following me around school and blocked anyone that could be a supposed "threat." I was going to ask him why but then it occurred to me that it was almost the full moon. Almost time for the vargulf to come out and for my supposed death. I should be scared. In fact, I should be terrified, but all I could think about is Roman. Shelley messaged me that nothing's changed and wanted me to sleepover but I declined because I knew Cam would have a bitch fit and drag me out by my hair.

"It was really that bad?" I asked Letha about her dinner night with Peter. She asked him to have dinner with her family and let's say things didn't go as planned. "I should have expected it. No offense, Letha, but your mom can be a bitch." She's so uptight, she might as well be a camel toe because of how high up her expectations are.

She was about to respond when we saw a crowd of people. "What's going on?" she wondered.

As Letha and I got closer, we saw three idiots grabbing Peter before one tossed him on the ground. They started to kick him repeatedly. My eyes widened as I dropped my bag and ran after them.

"Leave him alone!" I yelled before tackling one of the guys on the ground. My knee was on his chest as I knelt up and punched the idiot's friend on the dick before he could kick Peter again.

"What the fuck?" the hobo looking guy said as his friend hunched over and groaned while grabbing his dick.

Letha knelt down next to Peter. "I'm sorry," she cried as I got off the stooge. Peter groaned as turned my attention towards him. "Hey."

I grabbed the handkerchief from my pocket and placed it over Peter's bleeding mouth. "Shee-it," I mumbled as the guys walked off.

》》》》

It's official, today sucks. Olivia was the one who had to pick us up from school and offered to take Peter home. It was odd seeing Peter in the front next to her while Letha and I were in the back. He held my handkerchief over his still bleeding forehead. Olivia kept glancing back at me and Letha.

"Darlings, I should really take you home," she said. In response, Letha reached over and grabbed Peter's free hand while I looked outside. "Well, at least give your mother a call. She's wound rather tightly these days. And Lyanna, I'm sure you wouldn't want to make Cam upset." I still didn't say anything as I looked out the window. Olivia let out a sigh. "Ok, how about I drop you off at my house? I'm sure Shelley's missing you."

And that a small smile came to my face.

》》》》

It's been a few hours since Olivia dropped me off. Shelley and I stayed with Roman. I was holding his hand while I laid my head on Shelley's shoulder. She wrapped her arm around mine as we were catching up. It's a good distraction for the moment as I watched the sun go down. Only a few more hours until the vargulf is out and until...I'm dead. And I guess Peter realized that because he and Letha came back. Today might be my last day and I just...I wanted to spend time with the people I care about and they're right here in this room with me. Roman, the love of my life. Shelley, the only person that doesn't judge every single thing that I do. And Peter, I didn't know I would need the funny gypsy until I met him at the store.

Peter asked Shelley if she could leave us alone so we could talk. Shelley gave a small nod before getting up and left, not before hugging me first.

"We've only got a few hours," he pointed out.

I nodded. "I know. And.." I said through shaky breath. I wiped a tear that came to my eye. "Peter, if what you guys say is true and I do die -"

"You're not going to die."

"But if I do, then I want you to -"

"You're not going to die, Lana!" he shouted. "Stop saying you're going to die." He ran his hand down his face. "Do you - Do you think that I'm really going to let anything happen to you? Do you really think I'm going to watch you die in front of me? I know how it's going to happen. I know what to look out for." He sighed before pulling me into an embrace. "Me and you. We're going to kill this thing and I'm going to keep you safe."

I closed my eyes as I cried on his shoulder. "I don't think I could ask for a better best friend than you. Thank you for stealing that watch."

"Thanks for saving my ass."

"What's going to happen after all of this is over?" I wondered. "Are you planning to stay in town?"

"I don't know. But I do know what I'm going to do if I decide to go."

"What's that?"

"Kick your Uncle Cam-ass in the ass until he decides to let you stay." I smiled. "I think Roman would be a bigger douchebag if you left. So this is a win-win for both of us."

We both chuckled, unaware of the body that's getting up.

》》》》

A/N: Roman is back in the next chapter!!!