Distraction & Diversion

I hated the hospitality industry, in fact, I just hated people in general. I found out that because you wear a white shirt, a black skirt and small heels when waitressing, meant that every man is allowed to ogle your chest and that every pompous prick can talk to you in a condescending tone...

"I said diet. Diet Coke. Not full fat!" The woman spits at me holding the glass up in her chubby paw.

"I'm sorry ma'am. Let me change that." I reply, when I really wanted to reply that having a Diet Coke was a bit too late for her fat fucking ass.

Like I said. I hate people. There was I time I loved them and I loved life, but that was because he was in it..

Now he's not and the world has gone to shit.

The woman gives a hmph before glaring back at her husband who has been staring openly at my chest for the past 3 in a half minutes in which she handed me my ass.

I did deserve a scowl for getting her order wrong, but to listen to her nasally voice for 3 and a half minutes.

Now I deserve a reward for not telling her to fuck off.

Lord, give me strength.

Today, I was in the fancy dining of the restaurant scale in a place called - The Secret Garden. (Like the book). Where getting a Diet Coke and normal Coke wrong was some kind of violation against human rights...

When I walk back with the glass, she is giving her husband the third degree about staring at me.

"I apologise ma'am. May I take your order?"

"Will you get it right?" She asks making me bite my tongue.

I pull out my note pad along with my pen, whilst looking at her, showing her that I was ready. I then begin scribbling as she fires her order at me, as if she wants me to screw it up so she can have another go. But I'm way ahead of her, that was before she asks her husband what he wants.

I almost scoff as I look at my piece of paper full, I thought she ordered for both of them, with the amount she had asked for, I guess not...

After taking their order, I head to the kitchen to process it when I hear chef Mike call over to me."Smile darling! It might never happen!"

"It probably never will!" I call back before giving him a small fake smile, it's one I practice often.

"Not in this fucking place." He grunts coming over to stand beside me. Sweat had caused Mike's brown hair to become damp and wet. The kitchen was hot, sometimes even stifling in the heat of the day, so I tend to avoid it. "So what's up buttercup? Want to stab those customers in the throat yet?"

My cheeks flush. "That was a one time–"

"Yeah, yeah, cause she accused you of trying to poison her. But let's skip to the nitty and gritty. Whose out there that need to be given a lesson in manners? I got a pot of chilli and–"

"Ah! Let's not tamper with food. Or both of our asses will be hauled in. Despite my dying urge to make one lady speechless, in any way. Even if it's a swollen tongue."

He grins back at me. "There is the firecracker. Who is it? Big bird and Elmo?" He asks poking his head out the door briefly.

"How did you know?" I question.

"She's here often. But her husband is here more."

"Terrible home cook?" I guess.

"No, he's banging the secretary." Mike shrugs making me choke on the air I breathe.