Grab your armour

Pulling into Ruby's bar and grill, I smile

Pulling into Ruby's bar and grill, I smile. The whole place reminded me of Merlottes from True Blood. A TV show I was obsessed with, it was all supernatural, with Vampires, Werewolves, Fairies, Witches, Brujo, Shapeshifters and a Maenad. I could remember myself and he who shall not be named being holed up for a whole weekend, laying in bed, naked as the days we were born, cuddled up whilst it played on the flat screen television. We in fact turned into Vampires ourselves, only venturing out at night when it was cooler on Gracie's paws. Of course she had access to the garden all day and we got up to check on her between episodes and to get food. But other than that, we remained together, naked and content.

It seems like a life time ago, an old memory that will eventually fade away over time, but I didn't want it too. I know I have pictures on my phone of us together. Ones that look innocent but if you could see the whole picture, you'd know that some were far from that. You could see the exact moment things went from innocent to complete filth.

My phone burned in my hand, daring me to go back through them for old times sake, but I knew I'd only wound myself in doing so. Deleting the pictures would be the final step, the last goodbye and I wasn't ready for that... Not yet.

I climb out the car and head into work, it was Friday and we were open later today which meant that all prep work for the service later tonight could be done with a few Cokes and some good tunes. I give my legs a glance, proud of the even tan that was spread across them as they stuck out from a pair of black shorts. My feet were in a pair of black vans and my white t-shirt had the bar logo on, it was a cartoon Ruby over the left breast.

Tonight would be a late night, a night where my feet would ache, my body would lag and I would drive home with my eyes barely open. But my pockets would be full of tips and I'd leave with a warm feeling, knowing I would sleep well from exhaustion. I fix my hair into a ponytail before taking one last look at the gravel parking, knowing in a few hours, the place would be full.

"Afternoon Mina!" A voice calls making my eyes whip around until they settle on a small woman, her lips are painted a deep and dark colour as her blue eyes sparkle in my direction. She's wearing a black version of my work shirt, letting anyone and everyone know that she's the manager or manageress of this establishment. She's wearing a pair of black jean shorts along with black cowboy boots. Her hair is short and is styled a slight Mohawk. As she crosses the bar, she steps into the sunlight where the flare of red illuminates from her hair.

"Afternoon Ruby, how's it going?" I smile pushing my purse across the bar.

"All is well. How are you? Is that tan all over cause you're getting as dark as a berry!"

"I have to hide those dark circles somehow." I joke.

"Well damn, is that your secret?" She asks giving me a playful wink.

"Certainly is."

Ruby, to the onlooker, looks like a small harmless woman, petite in size and height. But her fiery temper really did match her hair. A few drunkards have had their asses kicked by her before now. In fact on my first night I watched her eject two strapping men, one after the other whilst I was stood dumbfounded at how she slammed the door behind her and brushed off her hands.