Jigsaw pieces

How the hell did we get here? What an earth has been so important in my life that I've failed to see her and a  drink or was it a drug problem?

How the hell did we get here? What an earth has been so important in my life that I've failed to see her and a drink or was it a drug problem?

Those were my thoughts, circulating in my head, mocking me every time I glanced at Mina led in the hospital bed. Doctors had been in and out of the room continuously asking her if she's taken any drugs, if she's consumed any alcohol and what was she doing today.

Her answer is the same, every time.

She woke up, showered, had breakfast, fell asleep, woke up, went to the bedroom, fell asleep, woke up went for a swim... and woke up when I was yelling at her.

I tried to ask her about the track marks on the inside of her elbow, she had no idea what they were from and I hadn't seen them earlier in the day. But I saw them when I pulled her out the pool, her skin a pale shade scaring me into thinking I was too late.

"I wish I was a bird." She spoke quietly her eyes fixated on the windows as she led in a hospital gown.

"Why? Because you want to get high?" I ask causing her eyes to move to me. I see the fire flick behind them and the look of rage written on her face.

"Get out."

"No way in hell. When the fuck did you start using? Have you taken them in my house?"

Her face falls into something short of upset "I have never, never taken drugs in my life. How can you ask me something like that?"

"How can I? Well simple, when I'm pulling you're half dead body from my pool." I spit.

"I told you I was sick. I told you last week. This is on your head as well as mine."

"Don't you dare lie or try to blame me for your habits."

She pulls herself up the bed, fussing with the hospital tag they gave her, I hated seeing one dangling from her wrist, but it was better than seeing one looped over her toe whilst led on a morgue slab.

"Can you call Ella for me please?" She asks softly hugging her knees up to her chest.

Seeing her vulnerable made me crumble, my tough love wilted.

"Of course.."

"Then you can get out." She adds before laying back on the bed wiping at a tear that rolled down her cheek.

"Sweetheart.."

Her hand comes up and lays across her face, blocking me out. "What if I'm seriously ill? This isn't normal and I swear I'm not doing anything illegal. I wouldn't do that."

"But the marks and the alco-"

"I haven't!" She cries pulling her hand away to look at me. "Why would I come here? Waste everyone's time? Take a bed off someone who really needs it? I wouldn't."