No contact

The sound and chaos that normally occupied a hospitals ER was distinctively silent as we sat in a private room.

At least that's how it felt for me. I'm sure there had been people talking to me, but I couldn't quiet recall answering any of them. So maybe I didn't?

But I knew Zak had, not because I had heard his voice, but because I saw his lips move from time to time and his head nod whilst another person was in the room.

I had nothing to say. My mind was a high pitched noise, my world stopped whilst the rest of the world continued around me.

My eyes flicked to the door as a nurse came in with a soft smile, she was speaking again but I didn't understand anything she was saying, I just saw the tray and the empty blood vials. I knew they would need filling. So I held out my arm and clenched my fist for her to start.

I saw Zak's hand come towards mine to hold but I shifted it away and looked down at the floor. So he placed his hand on my knee instead causing tears to build in my eyes.

Two vials were taken and placed in the tray when the nurse began to clean my finger tip. I looked up to her in confusion just as she pricked my finger and did a pin prick test.

"What's that for?" I ask slightly taken back at my raspy voice. The sudden clearness feels as though the bubble has been burst around me.

"This is your HIV test.."

I take a breath and swallow the building lump in my throat. "How long does it take?"

"15-30 minutes."

I nod and watch as she places a band aid around the top of my finger. My eyes turn to the clock. Each time the hands of it move, my heart leaps. Every time a minute passes I feel closer to passing out.

45 minutes later, the door to the private room opens and I instantly find my back curling up in fear, as the doctor walks in beside the nurse.

"We've had the test results..."

Fear is making my body tremble, my heart feels as though it's going to burst in my chest. I can feel myself getting lightheaded.

"They're negative."

A cry echoes in the room and I'm not totally aware that it's mine until Zak has grabbed my hand tightly before giving me a hug.

"Unfortunately we won't have the test results until tomorrow for the other two."

"But what are the chances? You've seen the needle right? I brought it in for the officer to take." Zak says, informing me in the processes of what he had done.

I didn't even see the officer. Did he leave me at some point?

"I for one, cannot say what the results will hold. Although the needle looked fairly clean, anyone could have used that needle for anything. But the news is positive." The doctor smiles at me. "However Hepatitis B can be spread through salvia... So no kissing or sharing utensils until you know the results. Hepatitis C, includes no sharing of razors or toothbrushes.... We will contact you with the results tomorrow, but as of now? You're free to go."

"Thank you." I speak making him nod and follow the nurse out.

"That's great news. Holy shit. I was so scared! Listen before you argue-"

"I want to go home with you." I interrupt. "I want to be with you."

Zak smiles gently "Of course."