From where we are.

I'm fumbling around with my car keys as I try to dislodge them from the ignition quickly, when they finally release, I push open my car door and go to get out, only to be pulled back to the seat.

"What the–" My eyes scan my body and  then I roll them. I forgot to take off the belt..

Unclipping the seatbelt, I grab my phone and get out, slamming the door behind me and clicking on the fob to lock the car as I race up to the house.

I'm all fingers and thumbs from the panic that was in my bones as I hear the baby crying on the other side of the door.

"Come on!" I growl harshly at myself and manage to pluck up the right key as the door opens up for me, revealing a teary eyed Ella, holding the blue bundle.

"I'm so sorry. I- He just won't stop." She breathes.

"It's okay." I smile softly and toss my keys into the small table, situated by the door. I take a small breath and accept the baby from her arms.

His little face is red from the stress of crying and small tears roll down his cheek.

A heart breaking sight.

"Hey baby." I coo, bringing him to my chest. "What's wrong?"

Ella wipes the tears from her eyes and gives me a sorry look.

"Take a breather. I'll sort him now." I reply proceeding through the house and into the kitchen.

I rub the baby's back gently as he wails a little louder. "Oh Jackson.." I hush gently as I prepare his bottle.

The movements are fluid, routine and done with precision. "That's your one.. We will wait for it to cool. Now what can I drink?" I ask him. "I know.."

I pull down two wine glasses and set them down before finding the red wine and pouring out two glasses.

"Perfect."

I'm such a responsible adult.

After a few minutes of the onslaught of cries and wails, he pauses to yawn before the echoes of cry continue.

"You're fighting it tonight aren't you huh?" I ask him before checking the temperature of the milk. Happy that it's right, I prop the bottle into view and grin when a small hand snatches the bottle up and shovels the teeth into his mouth. It seems that he would accept the warm milk from me, but from Ella, he wasn't having any of it. He usually played this trick two nights a week, usually the first two nights Ash returned to work.

"Let's go." I soothe, grabbing the wine glass on the way.

Walking back to the lounge, I hand the glass to Ella. "Go. Leave us. We need to talk."

She gives me a struggled look but eventually caves and disappears leaving me and baby Jay.

I inhale the baby shampoo and soap that lingers on his skin, the fabric conditioner for sensitive skin, and even the smell of the baby formula.

He nuzzles against my chest and tucks his arms in, using his hand to prop the bottle up as he suckles.

"Now, let's stop the silliness." I speak down to his soft brown hair pressing a kiss on top of his head.

I knew his game and slowly leave the lounge to climb the stairs to his nursery.

The nursery, Jackson's nursery, is magnolia, with a brown carpet, whilst his walls adorned safari motifs. His larger than life toy lion sat in one corner of his room, whilst his crib sat on the other side. Beside the crib was the nursing chair and I waste no time in sinking into the padded softness and sticking my feet up on the stool.