Won't let her go

I'd never seen anything like it, the amount of blood that drenched her clothing, her face, and her hands

I'd never seen anything like it, the amount of blood that drenched her clothing, her face, and her hands. At first pure panic rose in my body but then I realised it wasn't her blood.

I hated that I felt some relief in that, even as I walked her through the front door and closed it. Her body swaying slightly with exhaustion.

"Come on."I whispered, afraid my voice may startle her, and after tonight, that's the last thing she needed.

I sat her on the foot of the bed and rushed around to get the things I needed and things I needed to do. To smooth her transition back into the house. It was hard to accept the vacant look in her eye and I wanted to tell her that it was okay.

But truthfully, I had no idea.

She saw a man get shot, in the head. She saw another man get stabbed in the throat.
She was coated in blood, from head to toe, even across her face.

She looked absolutely terrified.

"We need to get these clothes off, okay?" I ask slowly untying her laces and removing her shoes.

I placed them in the rubbish bag and even frowned to see her once white socks were now splattered with red from where it crept under her laces.

I took them off and then moved to her top, in one fluid motion, I removed it quickly and shook my head to find her body stained with blood. Her eyes never connected with mine, as I slowly stripped her naked and bagged up all the clothes. Tying the rubbish bag up in case the police needed it at a later date.

"Come." I whisper taking her hands and guiding her to the bathroom.

I knew a shower would be too much, as invigorating and refreshing as they are, I needed her to relax. So a bath was run and I lifted her into it.

Grabbing a wash cloth, I dipped it into the warm water and slowly began washing her back. I watched as her eyes closed briefly in relief before she shuffled closer to me and rested her head on my arm.

"You're safe now darling. I'm here."

I didn't know what to offer, apart from my words and maybe a hug later when I knew she wouldn't freak out.

The white wash cloth in my hand turned a red colour as I got to her face, angling my body around her, I wiped the blood away before applying more soap and washing every pore. I trailed it down her arm and lifted her hand slowly scrubbing at her nails and their beds.

"He's dead."

I paused hearing her soft voice for the first time since she fell into my arms.