Ch14. King Arthur

Weapons could be magical. They could even be deadly. Long ago, weapons used by the Gods were all powered by magical energy. Weapons were said to have different abilities. For example, the Blades of Helios could control the power of the Sun. But out of all weapons, the most powerful and mysterious was probably Xcalibur.

Xcalibur was also known as Excalibur or Caliburn. It was a legendary sword fit for a king. Xcalibur's power was tremendous; it allowed its owner to cut through the crust of Earth, call forth the deadliest earthquakes and crush anything in his path. The legendary sword was said to have the power of not only earth, but also nature.

But how did Xcalibur get such power? Not even Hephaestus, the blacksmith for Gods, could make such a powerful sword. The truth was, Xcalibur was not only a mere weapon and blade. It was a spirit, a magical soul. It was one of the four kings of the spirit realm. Xcalibur was one of the most powerful magical beings in this universe.

And like all the other souls, including Zeus, Longinus and Spriggan, Xcalibur decided to travel to Earth.

His goal was the same as most of the other spirits': to protect and guard worthy mortal human beings. Before coming to Earth, life was purposeless for them; the spiritual realm was a paradise and a heavenly kingdom in humans' eyes, but to the souls, it was just a beautiful but empty place. The souls could live forever and ever and ever, and they had spent their lives in the hollow realm for more then an eternity. They played with their magical powers, danced, ate and lived everyday. Life for the souls were boring.

Until they arrived Earth. They saw so many people, so many helpless and hopeless mortals. If the spiritual realm was heaven, then other then the Underworld, Earth was a complete living hell. There was sickness, anger, saddness, hatred, hunger, betrayal, pain and war. And Zeus, for a second, regretted giving Pandora the Box and letting her open it. Then, the souls thought of a solution; what if they help them? Well, it was not like they couldn't. All the souls eventually agreed to this idea.

"I would like to help and guard someone as bright as the Sun," Zeus said. "The Sun is not fit to be in this rotten world."

Longinus thought for a while. "Well, I would help a cold but good person. Unlike said person you chose, the cold and isolated person needs more help."

"I don't really have a set answer in mind," Spriggan said. "But I would like to help someone fierce and hard-working. Only a mortal with such good character is considered as worthy."

Xcalibur smiled. "The person I choose will just need the will and power of a king. He must be both mentally and physically strong."

It was not long after they found the four princes. And very eventually, the eight became friends and companions. Xcalibur and Prince Alexander was one of the four pairs of friends.

"Prince Alexander. What is your will and ambition?" Xcalibur always asked.

"I want to become as strong as a king. People said I'm going to be one anyway, but becoming a king is not only about bloodlines. It's also about strength and power, and about the ability to rule and lead. I want to have the power, so I can rule this country peacefully and fairly with my brothers by my side," Prince Alexander replied.

Xcalibur nodded, satisfied with the answer. Prince Alexander was definitely the worthy mortal he was searching for. "If that was what you truly wish for, then I will grant it."

Prince Alexander and all of his brothers didn't like war. No one did. But as responsible future rulers, they were always trained to be prepared for it. Wars just... always happened. No one knew why. Maybe it was because of the conflict between two countries? Or maybe for gold? Nobody was certain for sure. And among the four brothers, Prince Alexander fought best in battles.