❰ 7 ❱

━━━━━━━━━━━━

Saturday couldn't come by any slower. I felt beat. Every hour felt like a drag. Friday afternoon was the worst. I had his World Studies class with Bram, and I could see him from across the room.

Bram would turn his head every few minutes to wink at me. I'd be a mess, of course. The teacher must have seen our interactions. The next time we got a seating chart, it was set up that we had a desk partner for group assignments. She let me sit next to Bram of course. Without me having to ask.

It was like a gift.

I sat the entire class looking as if I was writing 'notes' the entire time. When really I was writing stuff to Bram in my notebook. Every so often, I'd tap his shoulder and he'd smile down at the paper. He would discreetly take his pencil and write something back to me.

"Today class," our teacher walked to the front of the room seconds after the bell rang. I grunted, looking at my notebook for support. I felt Bram's hand grab mine under the table. Thank goodness we were in the back of the room where Leah couldn't see us. She'd flip. I looked to Leah, who was whispering to her table mate — some freshmen who were super smart and in our class — I grabbed my pencil with my free hand and started to write.

"We will be taking notes on the Fall Of The Roman Empire," she said pointing to the SMARTBOARD that was at the front of the room. I liked my new seat. I liked sitting in the back of the room with Bram. I picked up my pen.

do you think they fell because they built their empire on a hill?

I slid the paper to Bram who rolled his eyes at my stupidity. I could tell he was trying not to laugh. He took his blue pen and started writing. Blue. How did I not see it oh so many months ago?

I don't know maybe they're leader fell off the hill and they followed??

I laughed, it wasn't even a funny joke. Yet he made me laugh. I looked at the teacher who was writing something on the SMARTBOARD. I wrote down the notes that I needed to fill in, barely paying attention to what it was saying.

could you imagine jumping off a hill? for a leader?? that's loyalty!

Bram looked at the paper, shaking his head.

hills are pretty small, so no. I can't imagine. but rolling down hills? UGH! too much fun...

I looked up at Bram. His smile was big, even for him. I looked back at where the teacher was eyeing us. I looked back to Bram who seemed to ignore my whole 'loyalty' thing. I looked back to the diagram that was now on the board. Something about the 7 hills, one of which Rome was built on.

I tried to pay attention to the Roman leaders and all of that, but I couldn't. I looked to Leah, who was eyeing me from where she sat.

gotta love hills... is that where we're going Saturday?? a hill?? :0

Bram looked down at the almost full paper of our notes. I flipped the page over so he could respond. He shook his head tapping my hand — our signal. I looked up and our teacher has stopped talking to glare at us. She continued to say something about Ancient Rome and left us alone.

that was close

I handed Bram my note, in exchange for the notes I missed while writing. Without waiting for his response I took the note page and started writing.

you wanna come over later and study this stuff? to be honest I wasn't paying much attention —

Bram nodded and tried not to smile — turning back to the teacher's notes on the SMARTBOARD. I grinned, happy to be sitting here with him. Gosh, I'm such a dork...

━━━━━━━━━━━━