❰ 24 ❱

━━━━━━━━━━━━

Next morning I awake to six texts. Three from Bram, one from Abby and two from an unknown number. I was terribly groggy, so I couldn't really process what I was seeing on my screen. I scroll through some social media feeds, half of the media is filled with after-prom pictures.

BRAM: Good morning! 

BRAM: I had so much fun at prom with you. :)

BRAM: Okay. I'll leave you be. LOVE you! ;)

ABBY: nic an i broke up

UNKNOWN NUMBER: hey sorry about the break-up man.

UNKNOWN NUMBER: to your sister not you. i heard ur in a sturdy relationship. how u do that.

I nearly kicked Leah getting out of bed. She was snoring, and I tried to quietly sneak out of the room. Something in my gut felt weird. I passed a mirror in the hallway before going down the stairs. I just looked at my reflection for what felt like ten years. Do I really look that old? I cringed and headed into the kitchen. I found a note on the table from my mother. It explained how she took my father and Norah to get breakfast together to try and "Cheer Norah up!" How sad. I felt horrible for Norah.

I've broken up with girls before, back before I knew I was gay. It never really hurt, because it never really felt right. How did it feel to be broken up with when you thought everything in the relationship was right? How did one go and fell after that? I tried not to dwell on it, considering I wasn't in that scenario.

I threw together a bowl of cereal, snuck an Oreo in my pocket and FaceTimed Bram. He was up early, which was weird. I would think every teen after Prom night would be sound asleep until noon. Not Bram and I, we were wide awake and chatting up a storm.

"Have you heard anything from Abby?" Bram brought up, from what I could see he was eating some sort of bread at his desktop, typing on the computer. I made myself nice and comfortable on the downstairs couch and ate a bit of my dry cereal. I shook my head, which forced Bram to look at the screen for what I had to say next.

"Nah, she only told me via text that she and Nick broke up," I took a spoonful of cereal and waited. "I mean I wanna help both of them, but how? What do I say to someone after a breakup?" I think that has to be a universal question. How do you approach someone after a breakup?

"Yeah," Bram sighed, clicking off of his computer and giving me his full attention. "I really wanna help them out," he frowned at me. I laughed at his overdramatic-ness and ate some more cereal.

"You doing anything? You wanna come over?" I say to the tiny Bram on my phone screen. It's so peculiar to think we're engaged. We're so young. It's kinda romantic, in a way. And kinda stupid. Very stupid.

"Sure, let me just grab my coat, and text my mother," I hang up with Bram and go over to the kitchen window. I look out the window, half sad. It's pouring rain outside, which kinda matches my mood. I don't know what to feel these days. I feel like I should still be talking about teenage things, instead of talking about grown-up things like breakups and college. Maybe I'm growing up. I thought, with a shudder. It didn't take long for Bram's car to pull up in my driveway. I felt my heart beat rapidly in my chest as I ran out to greet him. Or maybe not...

━━━━━━━━━━━━