27

After school, Jaemin went to the nearest minimarket to buy a bread and a small carton of chocolate milk. It's not for him, though. He bought it for Renjun.

Jaemin found out that Renjun always helped Doyoung until 5 or 6 pm at the auditorium. Renjun barely sat with them at lunch, and he was getting skinnier. Jaemin didn't want his cru—friend to be sick. He didn't want to interrupt, but Jaemin missed Renjun as hell. A short encounter like what they had in the lavatory earlier wasn't enough for Jaemin.

He was used to have Renjun around, even though the boy rarely talk, Jaemin enjoyed his presence very much. Jaemin enjoyed every little detail that Huang Renjun had. All the things he said, all the things he did. Jaemin was so infatuated with the enigmatic human being called Huang Renjun. He gained more friends than before, but Renjun was still a mystery for Jaemin. He wanted to know why Renjun sometimes zoned off, why he admired the rain a lot...

...and why he got so carried away when he played the piano on the school's auditorium. When Jaemin entered the big room, he saw Renjun was sitting on the grand piano's bench, playing a song he didn't recognized. Jaemin didn't say a word, as he sat on the furthest seat, watching the boy from afar.

Renjun's head nodded along with the rhythm, his eyes were closed and lips slightly parted. Slender fingers glided across the black and white keyboards. The dimmed lighting above the stage created a surreal atmosphere around Renjun, as if he was a mythical creature. No matter how long Jaemin stared at him, no matter how many times he did so, Renjun was still beautiful.

When Renjun finally stopped playing, Jaemin stood up and clapped his hands. Renjun was startled but he quickly recovered and smiled softly. Jaemin jogged down to the stage and climbed up.

"I didn't know you can play," Jaemin sat next to Renjun.

"Always surprised, aren't you?"

Jaemin glanced at Renjun's moist lips before he turned to the piano, "What were you playing?"

"Just a piece of Bach," Renjun answered, "I'm not a big fan of classical music, but my brother taught me."

"It sounds like you're very close with your brother."

"Indeed, I am. Probably because our parents are very strict, and we wanted to have some fun. So, my brother and I sometimes did what we want behind our parents' back. It was fun, we were a really good team. My brother is also my best friend. He always listened to me when... When..."

Renjun stared at one random point in the distance and sighed. Jaemin could sense that Renjun was reminiscing an unpleasant memory from the past. So, the boy slithered his arms around Renjun's waist and put his head on Renjun's shoulder.

"You don't have to say it," Jaemin said as he nuzzled on Renjun's neck, "Junnie, you are very warm."

"Thanks, I guess," Renjun whispered, "I will tell you, Nana. Not today."

"It's okay if you don't want to, I don't—"

"I want to. You're my closest friend, Nana. You're all I have when my brother is far away in Jilin."

"You have Chenle, Jeno, and Jisung too. Now you have Doyoung-hyung."

"None of them understands me the way you do," Renjun sighed, "Honestly, why are you sticking up with me?"

Maybe because I fell in love with you, dumbass.

Jaemin didn't answer, though. In fact, he let go of Renjun to fetched the bread and the milk from his bag.

"I don't want you to starve," Jaemin giggled, "You're so skinny, Junnie."

"I'm not," Renjun pinched Jaemin's cheek, "But thank you, Nana."

They ended up talking about their day until they heard a cough from the backstage.

"Sorry if I interrupted, I didn't mean to."

It was Kim Doyoung, with a mug of coffee on one hand, papers on the other, and glasses on top of his head.

"Hyung! Sorry, I was about to revise scene—"

"No, that's okay. Jaemin was right, you looked skinnier and tired. Go home, Renjun-ah. I will go to my friend's place to finish our work. He's majoring in Drama, so he'll know what to do. And... Take care of my son, Na Jaemin," Doyoung smiled, "I believe you can do that." He sent a knowing look before walking away, leaving both of the boys puzzled.

Written: March 27th 2018
Published: June 3rd 2018