22

"It's crazy how my brother made me watch Forest Gump again. It was good, but it was overrated. Anyway, how was your sleepover with Jisung, Lele? I hoped he didn't strangle you when you were asleep."

Jisung went over to pinch Jeno's shoulder really hard, earning a laugh from Chenle and Jaemin. They were sitting together at lunch. Chenle was alone because Renjun had to meet a teacher, so the trio excused themselves from the basketball table and sat with Chenle.

"I'm your hyung!" Jeno pushed the younger boy away.

"You're annoying!" Jisung went back to his seat next to Chenle.

"Don't worry, Jeno-hyung, Jisung went fast asleep the moment he laid down on the air mattress," Chenle said.

"Hello! What did I miss?" Renjun arrived and sat in between Jaemin and Jisung.

"Fashion sense," Jisung poked at Renjun's pastel yellow sweater, "This is so last year."

"I like it," Jaemin commented.

Renjun smiled at him and started to eat his sandwich. Jaemin noticed a different gaze he received from three of his friends. He quickly sent the inappropriate hand gesture towards them when Renjun wasn't looking.

"Did Jaemin-hyung dropped you off safely, Renjun-ge?" Chenle asked.

Renjun just nodded in response, his mouth was still full with sandwich.

"Of course I did, if I didn't, Renjun wouldn't be here today," Jaemin rolled his eyes.

Jeno snorted as his friend's retort and asked Renjun instead, "What did the teacher say?"

"Oh," Renjun put down his sandwich and took out a crumpled paper from his bag, "I got forty five for my last Biology test."

Jeno took the paper and tried to erase the score, "It's real! No way, dude!"

"What about your scholarship, ge?" Chenle asked, worried as hell.

"Forty five? What a living legend! I barely got thirty."

Everyone turned to Jisung, but Chenle was the one who delivered the slap behind his head.

"It's alright. My brother is moving here in two or three months. He'll help me if I ever lost it," Renjun shrugged and glanced at Jaemin, "After all, someone did say, the night is too short to sit down and think about what pain us. So I thought, what the hell."

Chenle seemed surprised with it, but decided to keep calm. On the other side, Jeno stared at Jaemin with a knowing look.

"But it's broad daylight," Jisung frowned.

Renjun face-palmed, "Honestly, kid, what is wrong with you?"

×××

Jaemin yawned and looked at the clock on his living room wall. 9.39 pm, and his parents weren't home yet. Oh well, another lonely night for Jaemin.

He put his dirty dishes on the kitchen sink and went to the bathroom to brush his teeth.

Jaemin stared at his reflection once he rinsed his mouth. A lot things had changed from the last time he really paid attention to his reflection. He grew skinnier, his hair was a little bit longer, and dark cicles did no longer exist under his eyes. He looked like a grown man, rather than a boy.

Jaemin sighed and walked out of the bathroom. When he plopped down on his bed, he found that there was two new notification  on his phone. Renjun texted him, so Jaemin opened them.

Nana, are u asleep yet?
I just wanted to say thank you.
—9.19 pm

Well, I guess u're asleep.
—9.37 pm

Nah, I'm not.
I was just watching the telly.
What r u thanking me for.
—9.45 pm, read

Oh, is there something good?
—9.47 pm

Not rlly, i was just bored.
Don't change the topic Junnie
What r u thanking me for?
—9.48 pm, read

Hmm...
Everything rlly
But most importantly what you said
Back when we had a sleepover
—9.48 pm

Oh?
What did i say?
—9.48 pm, read

Tonight is too short
To sit down
And think about what pained us
—9.49 pm

You're welcome?
Honestly it was nothing
—9.49 pm, read

Nononono it was smthn.
I was too caught up in my own pain.
Yknow, what traumatized me a lot.
The reason why i got irritated by ppl.
It's not helping me at all, I'm not
socializing.
Your words kinda slapped me right
across my face lol
—9.50 pm

Honestly, Junnie
What r u tryna say?
—9.51 pm, read

You motivated me to change, Nana.
For now, please don't ask anything
about my past.
I know you're dying to know.
But I'm trying to forget about it.
One day, I'll tell you.
—9.51 pm

Ok, Junnie :)
Glad you're okay :)
But we're still friends right?
—9.52 pm, read

Of course we are, u silly boi.
Why did you ask?
—9.52 pm

Idk
I'm scared you'll get bored of me.
And then u decided not to be friend
with me anymore.
—9.52 pm, read

Well, i don't want to lose you.
So, don't worry, Nana :)
—9.53 pm

Written : March 21st 2018
Published : May 20th 2018