Digging

Betty returned home from school, however nobody was home. Alice and FP were at his trailer, and chic was out doing business. She double checked to make sure that nobody was there, and made her way upstairs. She reached the top of the staircase, and instead of turning left to go to her room, she walked straight ahead into her mother's room. She felt bad for trespassing, but she had to know what her mother was hiding. She'd been acting so strange lately and Betty was determined to find out what was going on. As soon as she opened up the door, a strong scent hit her. She wasn't sure what it was, but it certainly didn't smell like a fragrance her mother would use. A men's  cologne more than anything.
She didn't know where to start. Her mom was smart, she wouldn't leave anything lying around. Betty headed to the closet and pulled open the door. She looked through all the clothes and through the chest of drawers, which she realised she probably shouldn't have done once she reached a draw of lingerie. She was surprised and a bit grossed out. She carried on looking through the closet and noticed a box covered in a blanket, almost as if it was trying to be hidden. Betty instantly knew she had found what she was looking for. She eagerly pulled out the box which was tucked right at the back of the closet and lifted the lid. She was stunned by the contents. A few old items of clothing, but mainly pictures. There was a whole stack of them.
She knew her mother used to be a serpent, so she wasn't surprised to find an old leather jacket, but the pictures were the most striking. She flipped through them all. Most of them were taken at the white wrym, but as she worked her way through the pile, she saw different pictures. Pictures of FP. Pictures of FP and her mother. Pictures of FP and her mother kissing.
Betty reached the last picture. It was still of FP and Alice. He was standing behind her and they both had their hands placed on her mother's stomach. Betty realised the truth. She was speechless. This was not what she had expected to find. She rummaged through what was left in the box. She pulled out two pregnancy tests and another, small stack of photos. Both pregnancy tests were marked positive. But why would her mother take two of the exact same pregnancy tests, if one already stated that she was pregnant. Betty was confused. She looked through the remaining pictures. They were of, once again, her mother and FP. But this time there was a baby. Some were of her mother and the baby. Some were of FP and the baby. Some were of the three of them. She reached down into the box once more and pulled out some papers. Adoption papers, newspaper articles. She read through them.
Her mother was forced to give up the baby after she was arrested. FP wasn't allowed to keep the baby. Betty slowly placed the papers onto the floor. She knew her mother had a dark past, but she didn't expect it to be like this. She felt bad. She wasn't sure how she was going to confront her mother.
She suddenly heard the front door open. The sound of laughter filled the house. Betty quickly threw everything back into the box and put it back in its place. She quickly made her way downstairs, so she didn't look so suspicious. She was greeted by her mother, FP, jughead and chic.
„Hey honey" Alice said to her daughter.
„Mom?"
„I know.. I'm sorry i didn't tell you, but I thought it would be nice to cook dinner for us all tonight"
„Its ok" she smiled
She followed everyone into the front room.
„Actually, jughead, can we talk?" Betty questioned.
„Sure"
They both headed up to Betty's room, and she told him everything.
„Wait, so you're saying chic is the one on those photos?"
„I'm pretty positive. And my mom admitted that Hal isn't his father, but she didn't say who was."
Jughead was also a bit speechless.
„So our parents not only used to date, but they have a child together?"
„Mhm"
„I don't know what to say"
„Welcome to Riverdale. The only place where this sort of stuff happens"
They both managed to let out a smile.
They headed back downstairs and went to sit in the front room. They sat down on the couch and watched their parents prepare dinner together. Chic was also helping out. The sight reminded Betty of the pictures. They really were great at hiding the truth.
„Betty, jughead, dinners ready!" Alice called.
The two sat down next to each other. They sat opposite their parents, who were also sat next to each other. Chic sat at the end of the table. They were having a normal conversation, until Alice interrupted.
„Betty, there's something I need to tell you"