4* Spell Practice

Leonor slept well despite the effortful previous day. Her guess what to practice with the students was a fit with the notes of the Slytherins. She cursed Lupin for being so wishy-washy, but the upside was to be free of the ruling. She would try the Boggart first and see how it went. She could change her mind just in case she would run into trouble.

The third-years were filing into the classroom chatting curiously. Leonor pointed her wand at the door, and it banged shut. Several students startled. Leonor smiled nonchalantly and introduced herself having full attention.

"Professor Lupin's wish is repeating the subject and to exercise the spell 'Riddikulus'. What topic would you like to discuss? Please make some suggestions based on your latest lessons!"

The students exchanged glances and Leonor could hear some excited whispers and grins. Leonor looked around. Most students were obviously already at home. One girl tried to catch her attention with a nervously waving arm. A group of boys looked agitated while convincing a miserable looking round-faced fellow by something. She waited until the class became silent again.

"What's your choice?" Leonor pointed her hand to a blond within the group of enthusiastic looking boys.

"Oh, we'd like to defend the Boggart. Not everybody has practised yet. There wasn't enough time," he said with a mischievous grin.

"Please let me know your name?"

"Seamus Finnigan, Professor."

"I see; you just want the fun part today. Professor Lupin told me the last lesson with the shapeshifter was much appreciated. I'd like you to make two groups. Everybody who fought the Boggart in Lupin's class to the left, the remaining students to the right. We'll change later if there's time left."

The students moved slowly. Leonor conjured cushions at the far end of the classroom and requested the first group to get into pairs. Their task was to practise the disarming of the opponent. If they had managed the spell 'Expelliarmus', they could move to the other group. Then she started to work with the shapeshifter. She moved the Boggart back into the cabinet after each try. Leonor didn't want to see dead bodies or similar scaring forms in front of the whole class. It gave her the opportunity to talk to each student first while learning their names. Most of the fears were innocent so everybody got its turn. The students still glanced eagerly at the round-faced boy. He wasn't successful with the other spell, very much to the disappointment of the others. The class was soon over and dismissed. Leonor was relieved but called the clumsy boy who hadn't managed the 'Expelliarmus' spell to her desk and closed the door silently.

"What's your name?" Leonor asked friendly.

"Neville Longbottom, Professor," said the boy staring down to the floor.

"It wasn't your day today, was it?"

"No."

"Would you've rather liked to practice with the boggart?" suggested Leonor and the boy almost jumped. Leonor looked at him unsure if he was afraid of his own boggart or if he was timid in general.

"No."

"What happened when you worked with Professor Lupin?" Leonor bored deeper.

"Nothing."

"I think there's something you should tell me, shouldn't you? I'm sure you have been entertaining your classmates. Don't you think?"

"It was— all over the school," the boy spluttered, "—but it's ... I cannot ... he'll kill ... I mean I don't want it ... again."

"A boggart doesn't really kill."

"Not the boggart, I mean Professor Snape."

"And why would he do that?"