Chapter 17

Melanie Reed:

Things have definitely changed in the past couple of months. Somehow, Harry managed to get my parents to actually show up at the gallery opening. He apparently ran into my dad and let him know about it; and well, my dad took my mother with him. To say I was speechless when they walked in would be an understatement.

I was scared that it would still not be good enough for them. Surprisingly, my dad had a change of heart. He was actually proud of me and of my work. My mother, on the other hand, didn’t care much for any of my work. She wasn’t at all impressed, not even after all of my work had been sold. She just wasn’t impressed.

It also turns out that she didn’t sign me up for the music minor. She actually got so mad that she almost kicked me out of the house; and she said she was even considering disowning me. I had no idea what to think. Honestly, I didn’t really care about anything she did as long as she didn’t kick me out of my art studio, because if she did that, then I would be upset. I’d need to find somewhere else to put everything and that would be incredibly difficult. For the moment, she doesn’t want me anywhere near the house. I usually go around when she’s gone to get anything I need and leave right away.

So, anyway, it turns out Harry was the one that is responsible for the music minor. He confessed that he knew all along that I was good enough to be in the program, and that it was him that took the video and turned everything in. I’m still not sure how he got all the information necessary, and how exactly he obtained my signaturem but he did. I was angry, to say the least, when he told me but I guess now I don’t mind as much. It gives me more of a reason to be around him since we now have 3 classes together.

I’m actually really glad he told me because I was so upset about liars, in general, and he said he didn’t want to lie to me. I had gone on and on about how annoyed I was with this girl in our art class that lied about taking half of my supplies from my art cabinet in the school studio and putting the back worse than they were before. She broke some of my expensive oil pastels and used up half of my gauche paint, but I had no choice other than to put that stuff there since I had no more room for it in my dorm room. I’m honestly beyond upset about that, but anyway, back to the point I was ranting to Harry about how she lied, and how much I hated liars. And well, at the end of my rant, he came clean about the whole thing.

My time with him has been interesting. It’s hard to believe anything he really says sometimes because there are always thousands of girls trying to throw themselves at him. I always do believe him, and it’s actually so strange how much I believe and trust him. It always hurts me when I find him with someone trying something but he always stops them. Let’s just say, I have the absolute worst timing, I’m always coming around the corner to find some girl trying to get his attention or trying to slip him their numbers or whatever.

It’s been two and a half months, almost three, since I first met Harry. And we’ve been dating now for about 2 months. He said he had something for me, and he wanted me to head over to his dorm. Usually, I walk to his dorm and he drops me off later, but I felt lazy today so I decided to drive. I texted him to let him know that I would be at his dorm in less than two minutes, which he responded to by saying to wait in the living room area. I honestly loved his dorm; it was like a small apartment. I wish I lived here instead. Lily and I might as well move in, we’re here more often than not.  

I knocked on the door hoping Harry would be the one to answer it. Instead I found myself face to face with Hunter.

“Hey Hunter,” I greeted him as I walked passed him and into the kitchen to grab something to drink.

“Hey Melanie. How are you? Why don’t you ever use the key Harry gave you?”

“Good, how are you? I haven’t seen you in a while. And to be honest, I always forget that I have it.” I answered honestly. Harry gave me a copy of their key so that if he forgot his I would be able to open the door for him; I just always forget that I have it. I’m always with him, so I don’t have the need to use it, but when I’m not with him, I completely forget about it and knock. Hunter is usually the one to answer the door; and he’s always upset because he didn’t want to get up from whatever it was he was doing.