Chapter 8

Lily Rose:

I hope Mel’s okay; she hasn’t answered her phone since before the lockdown. I’m almost certain that the school would contact me or her parents if anything happened to her but they haven’t.

The thing that I find weird is that Melanie always answers her phone. And she hasn’t answered any of my texts or calls. I’ve tried with my phone. I’ve also tried with Hunter’s phone and nothing.

I began to get even more worried when her mother called me and asked if I was with her. Apparently, she wasn’t answering any of her calls either. She told me the same thing. She tried, her husband tried, her nieces even tried and nothing.

I began to have a panic attack, which is weird because I almost never have panic attacks.

Hunter tried calming me down but it wasn’t until we received a text message from campus security saying that campus had been cleared that I was able to calm down. And I mean really calm down. I immediately told Hunter to head back to campus the second I finished reading that.

I just needed to make sure Melanie was okay.

Her mother and father had met us at the Subway we were eating at. We had decided to go to one farther away from campus because the one nearest campus was seemingly packed.

They asked how classes were. They went on to tell us that they were alum of the campus.  Apparently, they attended USC through their entire education.

And they were glad to meet Hunter, and were very kind. They asked about Hunter’s future plans and Mason, I believe, was very pleased. After chatting for a bit, he offered Hunter an interview at his law firm for an internship. Hunter was very ecstatic about it. While they were talking about their law stuff, I was talking to Melinda about how it was going through med school. We talked about my work with the nursing program. We had a great time talking about the medical world and such.

Melanie’s parents are pretty amazing. I don’t know why she was constantly complaining about them in the week before school began. They are nothing like what she said they were.  They were so nice and understanding about school, but then again, we are basically majoring in the same fields as they did.

We arrived at USC within minutes. And I rushed out of the car and basically ran to the dorms. Hunter and Melanie’s parents were quick to catch up.

When we finally reached the dorm, I quickly fumbled with my room key. I attempted to put the key through the keyhole a good five times before I finally got it to go in.

Melanie Reed:

“You know I would never do that to you,”

I smiled immediately hearing those words leave his mouth. I nodded quickly before looking down. I licked my lips and looked back up to face Harry once again. I don’t really know why, but I had the sudden urge to kiss him.

“Harry, I’ve been thinking about your question, and I didn’t think I would have an answer for you today, but I do,” I said as my smile grew bigger. “Yes.”

“Yes?” It’s obvious I caught him off guard.

“Yes, I’ll go on a date with you.” I said with a bigger smile than before.

He smiled back as he pulled me in close, and kissed me. But he didn’t kiss me for long before the door swung open.

“Hey Melanie, are you oka-” I heard Lily’s worried voice immediately followed by another.

“What the fuck is this?” My mother.

Fuck.

I pulled away from Harry and looked towards the door to ensure that my mind wasn’t playing any tricks on me.