Chapter 12

Melanie Reed:

Class yesterday was very interesting. I figured my mother must have a good reason to have signed me up for a music minor; although, it is completely out of the ordinary. I would have never expected her to choose anything like this. I can’t even think about what was going on in her head, at the time she did it. Maybe she was drunk. I mean, that seems like the only logical explanation here.

“Hey, are you going to help me anytime soon, or are you just going to be sitting there all day cause I kind of have a place I need to be!” I heard a customer say, pulling me out of my thoughts.

“Oh, I am so sorry. Is this all you will be purchasing today?” I said looking down at the guitar picks and bookmarks in front of me.

“Yes, now could you please hurry up?”

“Okay, well that will be $5 please.”

She rudely handed me a five and grabbing the small bag I had placed onto the counter and ran out the door.

I almost hadn’t remembered I had to come into work today. I was a bit tired after all. I hadn’t finished with my final class until about 6 pm. And I had to stay a bit later to make up some missed time from the class before. He gave me the basic run down of the class and such things, and let me go off to turn in my add slip.

The registrar took a lot longer than I had anticipated. You would think it would take five minutes, ten at most to add a class but she seemed to take her time. Probably because it was Friday afternoon, and she just wanted to go home as I’m sure every other person in that office did as well. She didn’t seem to want to be there. I really have no idea why they have them stay until 7 on a Friday, but whatever. The point is, I was there for longer than just ten minutes; and well, I still went out to eat after all. Plus, I hadn’t taken my car so I was basically walking around all night. Surprisingly enough, Harry hadn’t shown up at all since we had lunch. He usually found me when I was wondering around campus without my car, but not last night.

I think he mentioned having class at that hour so he probably had left campus as well. I knew he would eventually come back seeing as though he had to pick me up for our date tonight. And well, from what I’ve heard from Hunter, who actually dropped me off at work this morning, it was going to be great. Harry has apparently been taking this date very seriously, and he mentioned that I would love every minute of it. But I couldn’t even get a single word of the date from him. I wanted to know what Harry had been planning I wanted to know but Hunter said that I wouldn’t hear a peep from him. That sneaky bastard.

“Excuse me? Could you please help me? There doesn’t seem to be anyone around to help. Your cashier over there seems to be in her own little world.” I snapped back into reality as I heard a customer speaking to someone. Shit. I looked around and realized it was Dean and Travis who had just walked in I am assuming.

Dean nodded and walked over to the girl in need of assistance; and I quickly got up from my seat and headed to the back for a quick drink of water.

Travis followed me back.

“Hey, how have you been? It feels as if I haven’t seen you in years.”

“Well, you saw me like what two, three weeks ago. But I’ve been great actually. Thanks for asking.”

“Hey, well, I’ve been great too, thanks for asking.”

I laughed slightly at his comment. “Shut up.”

“You know, Dean nearly killed me for what my drunken self did while he was gone. And honestly, I’m sorry. I haven’t really had the chance to apologize, but I really am sorry. My drunken self wanted to see if I had a chance. I mean, I swore I would never say this to you, but I feel as if I have to explain myself. I had once liked you more than just a friend even though I wouldn’t necessarily act like it. You have always been around; and well, I just. I just liked you. And just as I had found enough courage to tell you all of this and ask you out, Aaron came into the picture and swooped you away. Like he always did. And well, I was reminded of why I had liked you so much then and drunken me couldn’t help but kiss you. And I’m sorry.”