Chapter 30

Melanie Reed:

“Melanie, we have something to tell you,” my mother said with a wide grin.

I wasn’t sure what they wanted this time. I mean, my dad has been calling me a lot lately about the most random things just to get me to come to the house. It’s weird that now that I’ve moved out completely they want me around more often.

They invited us out to dinner the other day on Harry’s birthday. They invited us to dinner again for my dad’s birthday. They just keep calling to have us come over to help with some project my cousins have. I never did like those stupid senior projects that were a requirement to graduate high school.

But anyway, back to the point, it’s really weird that my mother is even smiling this much with me and Harry around. She still hasn’t stopped her huge dislike for him, but apparently, she’s finally starting to try. She wants to see the good in him that just about everyone sees but her. He may have a hard exterior, but she hasn’t realized that Harry is a lot like my dad on the inside. Harry acts towards me the same way my dad acts towards my mom. They’re in love and that’s obvious in their actions. Harr-

“Melanie?” my dad questions as Harry softly nudges me on the side.

“Shit, sorry mom.”

“It's fine; I’m sure your just wondering what it is. And what have I told you about that mouth young lady?”

“Fucking shit, I’m sorry mom. Shit, I didn’t mean to say that. Both times,” I sighed while Harry and my dad laughed, not so quietly, at my dispense.

“Okay; well, are you ready?” my mother questioned.

“Mom, seriously, just spit it out. I don’t have all day. Harry and I are expected at an event in an hour, and I’m not even ready.”

“Okay okay. Well,” she paused for a second for dramatic effect. “We’re having a baby!” she exclaimed clapped her hands together and jumping like a little girl who can’t contain her excitement after being promised an ice cream.

I don’t really know what I was expecting her to say, but we’re having a baby was definitely not one of the announcements swarming in my head. I was expecting something along the lines of we’re going on vacation take care of the house or we won the lottery and are even richer now or fuck, I don’t know anything but what they actually said.

“Baby? You, you’re having a baby?”

“Yes,” my parents both said in unison.

“A baby… what, how?” I can’t form the words while I’m trying to grasp the concept of my parents having a baby.  

“Well Melanie, when two people love each other so much, a-” I hear Harry begin to say, but I stop him with flash of my middle finger. He and my dad laughed again. My dad claims he was about to say the same thing.

“I thought you said you weren’t having anymore kids,” I told my mom in a bit of disbelief.

“We did, but you’re always gone and the twins are about to leave as well. I’m just not ready to be alone with your dad yet. We’re still young and I realize that I haven’t really had the chance to be a great mother. I wasn’t always there for you. I wasn’t always as supportive as I would have liked to have been. And I know it’s too late to change that now, but I would like a chance to do it again.”

I give her a small smile, “well congratulations. I’m really happy for you guys. How far along are you?”

“Two months,” my mother responded.