Chapter 24: I Don't Want To Be Me

A wise man once said, "There's a first time for everything."

This was one of those things I never wanted to experience, yet here I am.

I sat next to Ashton in my bosses office, nervously waiting for our verdict.

Things didn't look too good for us right now considering our boss found us kissing (when we had both signed a 'no dating' contract), we broke FDA protocol by having food in the lab, Ashton smelt of alcohol, and to top it all off we were supposed to be working our asses off and we weren't.

Our boss left us in the room by ourselves for a moment while he stepped out to "cool off" from being so angry and disappointed.

"Why did you have to kiss me?"  Ashton joked.

"Oh now you're complaining I kissed you?  You kissed me in front of my fiancé, his family, and my family last week and that was okay?" I hissed

He put both his hands up, "Whoa whoa I was joking.  Too soon I guess?"

I let out a deep breath.  I couldn't afford to get fired.  I needed this job more than ever right now.  How could I have been so irresponsible?

Ashton reached over and laced his fingers with mine, "You'll be okay I promise, even if I have to give up my job to have you stay here I will."

His skin against mine brought my anxiety down to a suitable level.  I squeezed his hand, "I've never been in trouble like this before and it's not fair that you would give up your job for me.  You need a job too."

He laughed, "Trust me, I don't need a job.  My band could play one gig and I'm set for a few months.  I'm only doing this because I like this...and you." 

Ashton truly is the only person I know, and probably would ever know who would let out a giggle at a time like this.

Before I could respond, our boss came in and sat down behind his desk, as I quickly let go of Ashton's hand.

He looked back and forth between both of us before speaking, "So, I've made my decision of what I want to do with you two."

Oh god, this is it.

"You both are very hardworking employees who are very dedicated to this company but I am still extremely disappointed that you two would pull a stunt like this..."

Just say it already.  Let's get this over with.

"Which is why I'm only suspending you."

I...We...We're not fired?

I let out a sigh of relief, "Thank you very much.  I'm really sorry, nothing like this will ever happen again."

Ashton nodded his head in agreement, "I'm very sorry sir."

Our boss stood up from his desk, "I'm heading home for real this time.  Just because you are suspended does not mean I don't want that data by tomorrow morning.  You can leave everything on my desk after you finish.  After you leave tonight though, do not come back until further notice.  I will send you both an email the day before you are allowed back."

We both thanked him as we headed back to the lab.  The first thing we did was dispose of all the remnants of the night, including our lunch we never cleaned up.

Just as I turned around to walk out of my office from putting my gift box away, Ashton was standing in the doorway, his hands on both sides of the doorframe with a smirk on his face.

"What are you smiling at?"  I teased.

"I have a lot to smile about actually." he said, adjusting his bandana