Ch. 28 I want you to be strong

December 30, 2006. 

Saturday.

It's nighttime in Forks, Washington. Melody is sitting on a wood stump between Seth and Edward. She smiles when she hears Garrett tell stories about his time in war and how he almost drank Custer's blood but the Natives got to him first. She turns her head back and sees Bella with Renesmee inside a tent. She hears her name being called which causes her to look away. She blinks when she sees Edward looking down at her.

" Melody. There is something I want to give you" Edward tells her. 

Melody nods her head.

Edward and Melody walked away from the group. Melody curiously stares at Edward who pulls out a beautiful heart necklace. Her eyes sparkle finding the necklace rather beautiful. 

" Melody. This necklace belonged to your grandmother. My biological mother, Elizabeth Melody Masen" Edward tells her. " I remember my mother told me. If I ever have a daughter, to give her this when she is of age" He smiles. " I am giving you this because I know you will take good care of it and because you are my precious Melody" He puts the necklace on her.

Melody smiles as she fondly stares at the necklace.

" There is something inside of the necklace" Edward tells Melody as he helps her open it. " Inside is a picture of you and me" He smiles at her.

Melody smiles when she sees the picture that Eleazar took of her and Edward at the Christmas party.

" It's beautiful, Papa. I love it. Thank you so much!" She happily hugs Edward.

Edward hugs her close. 

" Melody. I want to let you know that I love you so much and so does your mother" He whispers. " If something were to happen to us. Please take good care of your sister" He gently rubs her back.

Melody stays quiet.

" Papa..." She whispers. " Please, don't talk like that. You and Mama are going to be okay. You two are still going to be in our lives" She tries her best not to cry.

If Edward were a human, his heart would break at the sound of Melody's voice getting sad.

" Melody" Edward pulls back and looks at her with a fatherly expression. " I want you to be strong because I know Renesmee will be in pain and she needs you just like you need her" He tells her.

Melody begins to cry.

" P-Papa. You and Mama are not going to d-die" She tells him.

Edward's expression saddens.

He gently placed his right hand on Melody's left cheek. He looks at her in the eyes as he softly kisses her forehead. 

Melody closed her eyes as she slowly calms down. She lightly bites her lips feeling scared for tomorrow. She is aware that her family and friends are going to be confronted by the Volturi. She opens her eyes and looks at Edward.

" Papa. I promise to be strong for Renesmee" She tells him. " Papa" She stares at Edward in the eyes with a serious expression. " Promise me that you and Mama and everyone will be okay" She whispers.

Edward didn't know what to say.

He doesn't want to break Melody's promise because he isn't sure that he and the others will survive.

" Melody..." He whispers.

" Promise me" Melody held her right pinkie out to him.

Edward held his left pinkie out and wrapped it around her little pinkie. 

" I promise" He tells her.

Melody smiles softly.

She lightly shakes their pinkies and then kisses it. She lets go and happily hugs Edward. She hides her face against Edward's neck. She clings to Edward like a baby koala to a tree. She is afraid to let him go because she doesn't want him to leave her. She prays that the confrontation with the Volturi will be a peaceful one.