.02

CHAPTER TWO

  I hit my head off my head board as I wake up to moaning and other noises I really didn’t need to hear at 6:30am on a Friday morning. I groan as I get up to go see what all the noise is. I hear Cassie moaning some boy’s name. I try my hardest not to gag. She and her dumb little boyfriend always seem to do stuff early in the morning and wake up the whole house. Well, me anyways. Janet always leaves at 4:30 to go to work and doesn’t have to deal with the morning fuck ritual.

  “Cassie! Ashton!” I yell before turning around the corner to the living room. I cover my “innocent” eyes, as Asami and Cassie call them. Guiding my hand across the wall so I don’t run into anything, I hear a mix of hushed curse words and ‘ugh’ sounds as I walk into the room. I remove my hand from my eyes and see Cassie trying to fix her top. Ashton has a big ass smirk on his face, admiring his handy work on Cassie’s neck.

  “Cass, could you and Ashton please wait until I’m out of the apartment?”

  “He has school this morning and he slept over. Things got heated, sorry kiddo.”

  “I have school too. And I like to sleep until at least seven.

  “We’ll be quiet next time.”

  “Cassie! That’s not the point! Can you guys just fuck around when I’m not here or go to Ashton’s? It’s nasty.”

  “Bethan, you’re just going to have to live with the fact that Ashton and I do stuff.”

  “Cassie.”

  “Bethan.”

  “It’s gross.” Ashton leans back laughing, running a hand through his hair.  He and Cassie have been dating since he was a junior in high school, Cassie was a senior. The kid got lucky because they haven’t been separated since besides their one hour break ups. They just kept running back to each other and always had these stupid little promises.

  “It was nice when you guys hated each other and fought over Bethan stealing your makeup, Cass.”

  “I know it seems like yesterday we were trying to rip each other’s hair out. Now we’re fighting over sex. Aw, you’ve grown up so much, Bethy.”

  “That is the grossest nickname ever.” I say loudly, turning around to go back to my room.  As I’m about to shut my door I hear Cassie and Ashton resume where they stopped before I interrupted and their lips made those really gross smacking sounds like on TV. I didn’t know they could possibly be so loud you heard it down the hallway behind a closed door.

  To drown out the sound I begin to blast Blink 182. I sing along to ‘Pretty Little Girl’ as I pick through the pile of clothes I’ve never been bothered to put away on my floor.  I settle on a pair of maroon jeans, a white t-shirt and a random grey cardigan that was most likely Cassie’s. I rub my eyes and take my hair out of the messed up pony tail it’s in. I sigh as I attempt to brush out the tangles. Curly hair had so many downsides.

  I check the time and it’s finally 7am and the house is finally quiet. I slip on my shoes and grab my book bag. I then tip toe down the hallway. I slip past Cassie and Ashton to see the two of them passed out on the couch in each other’s arms.  It was an ‘aw’ moment but I was hungry so the cuteness could wait. Continuing my journey to the kitchen, I grab and apple and one of those little bags of cookies for lunch snacks you can buy at Wal-Mart.

  The walk to school is twenty grueling minutes in almost daylight. I tighten my grip on the straps of my book bag.  I was dumb and forgot my gloves. I never really understood why Cassie couldn’t just drive me because number one: she takes online collage courses and number two: she’s my legally my older sister so she should drive her little sister to school because she doesn’t have a car yet.