.07

CHAPTER SEVEN

  Asami pushes her sunglasses down from her hair. Purse in hand, she practically struts out of the hospital lobby with Michael by her side. I can’t help but laugh at the fact that he’s almost like a little slave to her. I mean, it’s cute in a way but also very strange and disturbing. I feel as if Michael and I are like Asami’s entourage. Since the day I’ve met her I’ve always told her she’d be a famous actress of some sort.

  Once Michael drops Asami and me off at my house, Asami instantly sprawls out on the couch. I roll my eyes and start to pack my laptop in my book bag along with my pencil case and my Romeo & Juliet script.

  “Why are you in such a rush?”

  “I gotta go to the library. It’s Saturday and you know my deal with Janet.”

  “That ended months ago, Beth. Give yourself a break for once!”

  “Asami, you know how much school means to me right now.”

  “Yes Bethan, I know. You refuse to date, refuse to party, refuse to drink, and refuse to do anything that could possibly scatter your brain of all information you possibly need to graduate. I get the speech once a month.” She props her elbow on the arm of the couch, watching me rush around.

  “That’s exactly why I need to go to the library.”

  “Why are you in a rush anyways?”

  “No reason.” I say a little too quickly. Asami raises her eyebrow.

  “Does this reason just so happen to involve a 6’4 little wannabe punk Australian?”

  “Well he isn’t exactly little.”

  “Bethan, you know what I meant.” I sigh as I sit down to lace up my sneakers. I was tired of wearing flats.

  “I mean, I know he’s an asshole half the time but I don’t get what you have against him?

  Asami rubs her temples, looking like she’s about to freak out at me or something. I turn back to lacing up my shoes until she clears her throat.

  “I’ve known Luke for a while.” Asami says.

  “Oh?”

  “He left rehab the week after I did. We – never mind.” I look at her confused. “Why were you at the park?”

  “I wanted to swing.”

  “Bethan, I know you. You do not go to the park just to swing. What’s wrong?”

  “Nothing,” I smile. I check the time on my phone. “I gotta get to the library; I’ll see you in a few hours.” I say before she finds a way to continue the conversation. There is no way in hell I was telling her about Colton. She’d fly to Florida and kick his ass all over again.

  “I think he’s good for you!” I hear her yell before closing the door behind me quickly.

  Before walking downstairs to go outside I take a second to lean against the door. I have no idea what she just said. I sigh loudly before starting my journey down the winding forty-three year old stairs. The apartment building I live in used to be an old hospital or something. They knocked down a couple of walls when the landlord today’s grandfather bough it forever ago. It quickly became a nice home for people.

  I take the shortcut through the park. These days there seemed to be a shortcut for everything besides life. From the corner of my eye I see the familiar stone wall of the library. I can’t help but smile while looking at it. There was just so much history in between each of those stones.