Chapter 18

A/N

Thank you guys so much for 3k+!!

~~~~~

Your POV

My head felt heavy when I woke up. Cold air rushed over my face making me shiver. When I opened my eyes, I cursed loudly, recognizing the annoyingly cozy room around me. I turned and faced the window, which was wide open. Taunting me. Those bastards know how to play their game.

The sight of the window made all the events from last night come rushing back to me. That was no nightmare. That was real. And so were the silent woman's eyes. They were horrible looking. I shook my head fiercely in a pathetic attempt to rid the vision. I brought my knees up to my head and pressed my eyes to them. 

"When did everything get so wrong?" I whispered to the air. 

"Can't answer that for you." My head shot up to find Michi holding the same white dress I wore yesterday and an emerald green coat, though it wasn't nearly as fancy as the black and metal one I adorned yesterday. Her frostbitten feet sent chills up my spine, making me look at her face. She herself had on a thin emerald green sweater. 

"I didn't see you come in," I said quietly. 

"I came in while you were talking to the empty room." 

I blinked at her, unresponsive. She picked a fuzz off the coat. "C'mon, it's time to get up," she said flatly. I threw the quilt off of me. 

"What am I doing today?" I asked her. I really didn't want to be attacked by another piece of enchanted jewelry or forced to play the piano. Michi went into the closet and drew out a pair of snow boots. She eyed them enviously. 

"You'll be helping me outside. We need to go collect some... supplies," she explained quietly, walking back towards me with the articles of clothing in her hands. Quickly, she helped me out of the nightgown and into the white dress and coat. Like yesterday, she left the shoes to me, waiting by the bedroom door. We walked out and to the dining hall where much to my fear and disappointment, Ein and the silent woman were sitting in their usual spots. Michi pulled out the chair I sat in yesterday and slid me a plate of toast, eggs, and a mug of coffee before retreating from the room. 

I sat in awkward, terrifying silence while I quickly ate my breakfast. Last night I was reluctant to eat thinking it was laced with poison, but now I prayed that it would it finish me off. As I swallowed the last bit of my coffee and went to stand, Ein moved his head to me, making my heart stop. 

"So I heard of your little escape last night, Y/N," he said, giving me a grin. I wish I could punch him in the face. Let's see how well he can smile with a broken jaw. Instead, I clenched the skirt of my coat in angry fists and remained silent. He tilted his head away and peered into his coffee mug. 

"I wouldn't try that again if I were you," he said coldly. When he glanced up at me again, the smug look was gone, replaced by stern anger. I started and nodded my head quickly. Just as quickly it had left, Ein's smile was back.

"Good girl. Now go help Michi and don't try anything funny."

I scurried out of the dining room as fast as my feet could take me. Michi was waiting for me by the front door. At the sight of me, she turned on her heel and opened the door. Cold washed over me instantly and the mountain winds rustled my clothing. I pulled the coat closer to my body. I glanced at Michi sympathetically. She barely had something to keep her warm. I was about to offer my boots to her but before I could open my mouth, she shivered harshly once and trooped out into the snow. I walked after her, shutting the door behind me.