Chapter 12

I shot to my feet and stumbled back, shaking my head. "What? No way. I think I  would know my own name." I said, letting laughter come out of me. This was stupid. This was some kind of prank. Zane's crazy eyes were dashing to the picture to me and back again. "You can't just say that I'm someone I'm not," I said, still in shock over Garroth and Laurance's claim, upset that Zane was believing it. The three boys, however, didn't seem to hear me as they started to babble nonsense among themselves.

Thankfully, Aphmau stood and put a hand on my shoulder. She looked down at the boys with disappointment in her eyes. "Y/N is not Ena Quill. I think she would have let us know by now," she said sternly. The boy's chatter died down. 

"But look at the resemblance!" Garroth said, pointing at me and the still-visible picture of Ena on Laurance's computer. Aphmau let out a heavy sigh. "Garroth, some people just look alike. It doesn't make them the same person. My mother and I are nearly identical, yet you don't see people walking around and saying that we're one in the same."

I was grateful for Aphmau to step in. I didn't need this drama. I wanted to go home and shower and go to sleep and to forget all of this. Yet, the boy's still pressed on. "What about a DNA test!" Laurance suggested. "Or we can bring her to the police," Zane muttered, tapping his chin in thought. Repulsed, I took a big step back.

"You're kidding! Okay, I get it now. It's all a joke. A big, stupid prank. I reacted! You can stop all this nonsense now!" I said, getting more and more frustrated with them. Zane stood to face me.

"This isn't a joke, Y/N. This girl," he held a photo of her face close to mine, "Could be you. Don't you want to know your past? Even if it isn't you, what's the harm in trying to find out?" he asked. He didn't make a very good point. I stared into Ena's bright green eyes and took yet another step back, looking away from them. I hated those eyes. I was getting closer and closer to the door with every step back I took.

"I know my past!" I snapped. Zane stepped closer to me. "Then what is it?" he said angrily, grabbing my wrist. "Zane!" Aphmau fussed, worried this argument would get physical soon. She was right. At this rate, I was about to nail Zane in the head with my fist.

My burning gaze met his. For a moment, there was a lot of fiery tension. I drew in a breath to keep myself from punching him, before yanking my arm out of his grasp and storming out of the door, steam rolling off me. It was beginning to drizzle, and looking up I noticed big, heavy rain clouds swarming in. Part of me wanted to just lie down on the cool cement and let the rain pour down on me, soaking me to the bone, and washing away all traces of anger I had left in me. Instead, I went inside my house and stomped up the stairs, already removing my jacket and shirt to get ready for a nice, steamy shower to help me forget everything that just happened.

~~~~

Aphmau's POV

I watched Y/N leave the door and slam it shut. She was obviously angry and hurt. I turned to the three boys. I was not happy.

"What in the name of Irene was that all about?" I yelled. "You all are crazy! It's like this girl possessed you!" I yelled, tears brimming my eyes. I don't want an argument! I don't want this! This is terrifying! The boys didn't seem very phased. I opened my mouth to yell more but was interrupted by a knock on the door. I walked over and opened it, surprised to see Lucinda huddled in a raincoat. She had a confused look on her face.

"Sorry I'm late. I just saw Y/N go to her house. She looked pretty upset," she muttered, jutting her thumb to the direction of our friend's home. I opened the door more to let her in. "Yeah, she was," I said, shooting glares at the boys. 

Lucinda draped the black raincoat over the back of a bar stool in the kitchen and sat on the couch. "What was she so upset about?" she asked, glancing at the boys who were sharing bewildered looks, speaking an unspoken conversation. I sighed and sat next to her. "The boys are convinced that she's Ena Quill," Lucinda looked confused.