Chapter 26

I made to follow her, but found the world starting to jitter and melt around me, transporting me to a forest with trees so large they looked like skyscrapers from the city back home. In front of me, a quaint hut sat quietly, two women in the front garden. One in a purple shawl and the other, a teenager with long brown hair stood, though the brown seemed to be shifting hues and length oddly.

"That's it, Ena!" the woman in the purple exclaimed. I walked towards the two, curious. Ena's face was scrunched, her features morphing and rippling. It was slightly uncomfortable to watch. Her face began to settle, her features longer, lips thinner, and eyes smaller. Her hair was now short and platinum blonde and her ears stretched to a point.

The older woman applauded smiling gleefully. "Very good, very good!" I stared at the elf before me. Ena's body remained the same, but her face was entirely different. I was impressed, and slightly scared.

But one thing stood out to me the most: she was smiling, as if the tragedies from her childhood never even happened.

"Ah, I was never able to teach Lucinda this. She focused more on potions, but you certainly have a knack for physical magic. Your raw magical power is outstanding," the old woman sighed. My heart jumped at my friend's name. Could it be the same Lucinda? It couldn't... I have never heard of this place... not that I know where I am. It must be coincidence... Right?

Ena's features returned in the same rippling fashion. "I'd be interested in learning potions as well, Hyria." The name was familiar but I don't recall it entirely.

Hyria's eyebrows rose as she glanced up at Ena. "Child, you do realize how much training and studying it will take to learn multiple types of magic, right?"

Ena smiled. "I'm willing to take as long as needed. I want to learn everything. I want to be someone great." She clasped her hands together, and I noticed her mother's sliver wedding band on her thumb.

Hyria stared at her apprentice's hand then at her big eyes. She sighed and hobbled to her feet and spread a wild smile across her face. Ena jumped excitedly on the balls of her feet.

"Then let's get started," Hyria smiled, a sparkle in her eyes.

The world began to melt again, and when it recovered, I was inside the hut with a much older Ena, possibly in her twenties or thirties now.

It was night, and she was hunched over a book reading by candlelight. I peered over her shoulder, but the book was written in Witches Tongue, recognizing it from Lucinda's book from back home. Ena dipped her pen into ink and scrawled on the pages.

I assumed it was her own spell book. I glanced around the room, noticing the books and scrolls littering the floor. Across the room, Hyria was tucked into bed snoring peacefully.

Ena let out a harsh sigh and stood, wandering to a cabinet and pulling out a small chest. Its contents jingled and tapped against the wood. She hastily stuffed it into a half-filled bag and swung it over her shoulder.

Ena grabbed a blank scroll and scribbled a quick note to Hyria.

Thank you.

I frowned at the words suspiciously. Was Ena leaving? She picked up the thick spell book and wandered outside, shutting the door slowly.

She stared at the hut sadly before shaking her head and wandering deep into the night. As we crept closer to the clearing's end, my surroundings once again began to shift, and I appeared before a familiar face on a throne.

It must be him, and if it was, does that mean everyone else is here too? Wherever here is?

Zane sat sneering, his eyes evil. I cowered. I've never seen him like this. I shifted my eyes to the floor before the throne. Ena was kneeling, her travelling cape draped around her. Wavy brown hair curtained her face.

"High Priest, I have come with a wish, one simple for someone of your power," she began. She sounded determined.

Zane tilted his head, his eyebrow cocking.

"I ask to be escorted to the Enki Warrior Tribe's island. I seek the Demon Warlock," Ena continued.

Zane's guards shifted, a hushed murmur of shock sweeping through the room. Zane held up a gloved hand and they quickly quieted down.

"What could you possibly seek from the Demon Warlock?" he asked, his voice deep and raspy. "I can sense your immense power, the Sea will allow you across, but the Demon Warlock will quickly take it from you." Zane didn't sound like he cared whether Ena's power was taken.

Ena looked up. "I doubt that seriously. I have a deal and a plan that he won't be able to refuse. I'll get what I want."

Zane stood slowly. "And what makes you think he'd care about your deal?"

Ena stood as well and smirked. "I'm going to get him Irene's Relic in return."

Zane's eyes widened suddenly. "Irene's Relic...?" His eyes shimmered with hunger, his voice hushed in fascination.

Ena smiled at Zane's sudden interest. "Yes, and if you escort me to the island, I will put in a good word for you, and perhaps you could create an alliance with him."

Zane's eyes were wild with greed. "I'll get a ship prepped immediately. You are ready now, correct?"

Ena nodded. "I only ask that you send men you won't be missing terribly. I can't promise their safety or survival."

Zane peered down his nose at the witch. I creased my brow worriedly.

Was this when it all began to shift? Was it the sheer amount of power she held that made her hunger for such extremities? Was it her past? Or... was it everything...? 

"Get the quickest ship ready," Zane said, not breaking eye contact with Ena. "I want her to the island as fast as possible." A few guards saluted him and wandered out, barking orders to the servants behind the door.

"What did you say your name was?" Zane questioned. Ena's eyes widened.

"My name... My name is Ena. Ena Jane Quill, and I'm going to be the greatest sorceress the world has ever seen."

~~~~~

A/N

Chapter 27 will be out tomorrow.

Keep your eyes peeled >;)