Chapter 25

Your POV

Ena released her grip on the back of my neck and my hands fell flat against the piano keys, making a harsh discord of notes ring. Yet again, I was forced to sing that song. It hurts my throat and strains my fingers. As I sat gasping for air, Ena stood and glided out of the room. I glared after her, rubbing at my neck.

I still don't understand what is going on.

I wake up every morning frightened. It's the same every day. Wake up, dress, eat, piano, mines, bathe, eat, sleep. My already scarred hands were starting to form calluses from the pickaxes and dirt. Every day I miss my home more and more.

I sucked in a deep breath, the cold air drying my throat. I stood, my vision wavering with dancing colors. I'm so confused. I stepped out of the small room, a hand over my mouth, fearing I might vomit. Luckily, my stomach settled, and I was able to stumble into the sitting room where Ein and Ena sat across from each other speaking quietly.

Ena looked up and smiled warmly. "Ah, Y/N. I'll call Michi to prep you for the mines. Work hard today, I expect many emeralds." Her gemstones twinkled.

I stood my ground. My knees trembled. "I..."

Ena raised an eyebrow. "Speak up, Y/N."

"I don't want to work the mines today. Please... Ma'am..." the words stung my throat. Why was I so afraid of her suddenly? My heart raced. Sweat beaded on my back and my hands grew clammy.

Ena raised her chin and stood. I've never felt smaller. The room felt like it was stretching back, but the walls on either side closing in, making an inescapable hallway. Just me and the witch. Was this feeling her doing? Is this magic? Is this all in my head?

"She's hiding something," a voice rasped in my ear. I gasped and turned around. Nothing was there but the long, dark ever-stretching hallway.

But I knew this voice. It was the same one that had abandoned me back in jail before I woke up here.

"What is she hiding?" I shouted. Ena stood before me, glaring down at me, she seemed to grow taller every second I stared. My breathing quickened.

"WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?" I screamed. Tears flowed out my eyes. What's going on?! I dropped to my knees and tugged at her dress, screaming those words over and over. I could hear my heartbeat pounding in my ears.

No.

It's not my heart.

I glanced up at the emerald-eyed lady.

It's her's.

It was calmer. I could feel mine hammering against my ribcage, but the one pounding in my ears wasn't throbbing as if it was fearing for its life. It was thudding, like a lion about to pounce on its prey.

Calm, determined, focused.

Slowly, I looked back to Ena's face and into her gems.

"Find out what she's hiding," the voiced gasped.

"How?" I whispered.

Ena tilted her head, her face calm, her gaze never leaving mine. "Find out what I'm hiding."

"How?" I shouted, crawling to my feet. "HOW?" I ran forward, my feet pounding on nothingness towards Ena. The hallway had become an abyss.

I bounded into her, and as if running through mist, she disappeared, and I was brought to a village seemingly out of a history book. I panted and turned around slowly.

Just a moment ago I was in a weird hallway with Ena. Where am I now?

People were walking down the mud roads, a misty trail clinging to their backs. I reached out to grab a passing woman with her kids.