Chapter 14: Backstage

Chloe arrived at Blackwell's campus for The Tempest play that was happening in an hour. A familiar voice called out to Chloe when she entered the campus.

"Hey Price-Check! What's cracking?" Justin said. They high-fived and fist bumped. "I hit up some old mill up north two nights ago for this sick band." She told him. "Word dude! That place is, like, fucking meth central. My cousin hit up some hooker there, and-"

"It was cool, okay?" Chloe said, interrupting her skater friend. "So actually, some dickweeds followed me and started complaining to me about the beer I spilled on him." Chloe said. "No shit?" Justin said. "Yeah. Then one of them hit me. Only because I dropped his friend after I smacked him over the head with a bottle." She told him.

"Sick! Remind me not to mess around." Justin said. "I don't see any bruises though." He said. "You know, it's a funny story about that." Chloe said. "I... Rachel actually helped me out with that." She told him. "Rachel? Like... Rachel Amber?" Justin questioned. "She was actually there when it happened." Chloe said.

"Rad! What did you have to do? Bow? Slip her cash? Kiss her?" He said. "Wh-what? No! She just... put makeup on my face." Chloe told him. "Damn, I wish I had your luck. Because she's like, smoking hot." He said. "Huh. You don't say." Chloe said as she grinned and crossed her arms.

Hiding the fact from Justin that she agreed.

"She helped me out awhile back. Algebra was kicking my ass." Justin told her. "I believe you. I mean, have you seen my math grades?" Chloe said. "Yo, check it. I bombed my midterm last fall so hard. So she tutored me for the rest of the semester. Then I crushed that shit with a C+!" He told her.

Chloe suddenly received a text. She pulled out her phone and saw that Rachel had texted her.

From: RACHEL
They finally have tents up for dressing rooms.

From: RACHEL
What's on your schedule?

From: ME
i'm here too actually, just hanging out with justin

From: RACHEL
Williams? He's not so bad. Come see me when you're done?

From: ME
yeah for sure

From: ME
see you soon

Chloe lowered her phone and put it in her pocket. "What's up?" Justin questioned. "Oh. Just my mom." She said. "Yo, your mom makes the best waffles at that Two Whales place." Justin said. "Don't tell her that." Chloe said. "Anyway, I should hit it." Chloe told him. "Word." Justin said and took out his phone.

Time to go see Rachel.

Chloe walked over to the stage and walked behind it and saw the cast and crew. Mr. Keaton heard Chloe approaching and turned to her.

"Why, if it isn't the muse of the Blackwell drama department." He said. "Sup, Mr. Keaton." Chloe greeted. "Though I enjoyed what you said earlier this morning, this area is restricted to cast and crew only, my dear." He said. "Oh, I'm just here to see Rachel. Then I'll be outta here." Chloe told him.

"Well, make it quick. The show is starting soon." He said. "Will you be there?" He asked. "Uhhh, yeah." Chloe told him. "Exellent! See you then." Mr. Keaton said. Chloe nodded and pulled out her phone to text Rachel.

From: ME
i'm backstage

From: RACHEL
great omw.

Chloe put her phone away and waited for Rachel to arrive. Chloe saw a student named Samantha Myers standing by a tent. Seeming to be looking around to the back. Though it was odd, Chloe approached her. "Hey Samantha." Chloe said to her. Samantha turned to Chloe and muttered, "Shh!" Chloe raised her eyebrow at her. But then a troubled voice spoke.

"Dad... I can't do it. I just can't. I'm sorry." The voice of Nathan Prescott. "Keep your voice down!" Nathan's father, Sean Prescott, demanded. "Now listen to me." He said.

Chloe and Samantha leaned closer to hear what Sean had to say to his son. And with the obvious agitated tone in his voice, and Nathan's troubled tone, they definitely weren't having a pleasant talk.

"You don't understand, okay? Everyone hates me. They're all just gonna laugh." Nathan said. Samantha shook her head at Chloe. "Why do you suppose that is?" Sean questioned. Nathan's shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know." He said. "Because you show nothing but weakness." Sean told him. "As you're doing right now." He added.

"But dad, listen-" "No, you listen!" Sean said. "This isn't about you and your problems. This is about the Prescott name. My name." Sean told him. He leaned close to his son. "You will not embarrass me." He said. Nathan turned his head away from his father.

"Nathan..." Sean said, demanding his son's attention. "Yes." Nathan finally said. Sean nodded. "Good. Now..." Sean placed his hand on Nathan's shoulder. "Break a leg. I'll see you after the show." Sean turned to leave when he suddenly spotted the two teenagers looking at him.

Samantha nervously glanced at Chloe. Who was looking into the eyes of Sean Prescott.

"Grest pep talk, Mr. P." Chloe said. "Confidence is always earned by intimidation." Sean crossed his arms. "Whoever you are, mind your own business." He told Chloe. "Gladly." Chloe's smart mouth told him. "I'm sure you have some bunker filled with gold coins you have to get to anyway." Chloe said and moved out of his way.

Sean eyed at Chloe as he walked past her. Nathan emerged from the back and looked at Chloe. Then at Samantha. "Nathan..." Samantha said softly. Nathan sighed heavily and walked over to the boys tent. "Fuck!" He shouted. Samantha sighed sadly and walked away.

"What was that about?" Rachel questioned as she approached Chloe. "He was talking to his dad." Chloe told her. Rachel planted her hand on her hip and nodded. "He talks to me about his dad sometimes." Rachel said. "I feel bad about it." She added.

Chloe felt a feeling. Almost like jealousy.

I know Rachel sometimes hangs out with Nathan, but, I just don't want what we have to suddenly disappear.

"Hey, you okay?" Rachel questioned. "Hm? Oh, yeah. I'm fine." Chloe assured. "So, you nervous?" Chloe asked. "Actually no. I love acting." Rachel told her. "I'd be shitting my pants up there." Chloe said. Rachel laughed and said, "I thought so at first. But it's really not so bad." Chloe shrugged. "It's still not for me." She said. "Respect." Rachel replied.

"We're starting soon! Get your last minute practice done." Mr. Keaton said. Rachel turned to Chloe and smirked.

"Hey. Come with me." She said. "To where?" Chloe asked. "You'll see." Rachel told her and took her hand and led her to the girls tent. Once they were in the tent, Chloe questioned, "Rachel, what are we doing?" Rachel grabbed her script and turned to Chloe and sat her in a nearby chair.

"Just sit there and watch." Rachel said. She cleared her throat and began reading her lines. Chloe listened as Rachel read with a soft voice. Rachel looked up at Chloe from time to time. Smiling at her. Rachel looked down at her script and continued reading.

Rachel's really good at this. Something I could never be good at. Like... a lot of things.

Rachel concluded her lines and looked toward Chloe. "So. How'd I do?" She said. "You're gonna rock this play." Chloe told her. Rachel smiled shyly and pushed her hair behind her ear.

"We're starting in five minutes!" Mr. Keaton's voice said. Chloe stood up and said, "Hey... good luck." Teasing Rachel. "You mean "break a leg." Rachel said. Chloe laughed and exited the tent and left backstage.

Chloe's phone vibrated in her pocket. She took it out and saw a text from Eliot.

From: ELIOT
the show is starting!! wish u could've came

From: ME
yeah

Chloe was hoping she could avoid sitting with Eliot. So she cautiously looked for a seat. After finding a good seat, she sat down and waited for the play to start.