Chapter 23:

My hands are shaking as I finish the set of button braids I had spent almost two hours carefully setting in Hugo's mane.

It was Thursday night, and the show in Calgary was this weekend. It was a much bigger show than the last, with a boatload of more riders and horses competing. Since it would take us a good few hours to travel from Holloway, Darla decided we would leave tomorrow, that way the horses could get used to the show grounds beforehand, hopefully resulting in less horses feeling fresh and spooky.

Hugo lowered his head and sighed. After a bath with his favourite apple scented mane and tail shampoo and conditioner, he was ready to call it a night, and so was I.

I hadn't seen much of Ash or Tina as my parents had me trapped in the house most of the day giving phone interviews about Ken and his horses to multiple magazine reporters.

" I wish you would've picked one of the more seasoned horses Ken offered you... " Mom had complained.

" But we're also glad you just managed to pick a horse " Dad chimed in.

" Your father is right. We're happy you're finally starting to understand that a top rider doesn't just rely on one horse... " Mom added.

Her words, for possibly the first time in a long time, actually broke through and made me think. As much as my mother lacked in her knowledge about actually riding horses, she was right about that. Most of the top riders I followed on social media worked with a group of different horses each day, and usually took 2 to a show, in case their main horse got hurt or sick. It wasn't an uncommon strategy.

For the rest of the day I had those thoughts stuck in my mind. Hugo was my heart horse, but Navarre was a whole bag of mystery that I wasn't able to get out of my mind. I couldn't stop myself from talking about him during the trail ride and swim with Tina and Ash. There was just something about him that clicked with me the moment I saw him.

When I finally managed to sneak away from the house to get Hugo ready, almost everyone had their horses clean, braided and ready to go for tomorrow, except for a few of the boys who seemed to struggle with braiding, which made me giggle.

I let out a breath as I cracked my knuckles. My hands were cramping and my legs shook from standing on my grooming box for so long, but the way Hugo's coat sparkled and the fact that not a hair stuck out from his braids made it all worth it.

I had just finished covering him with his travelling blanket and hoodie so that he couldn't rub out his braids, when my phone buzzed.

I was surprised to see Jakes name pop up and quickly answered. " Hello? "

" Surprised you're still up " He chuckled. " Thought I'd have to leave a message about my surprise... "

" Well you know me, well, technically my parents since they- " I paused. " Wait...What surprise? "

" Since you seem to have chosen your new mount... " His words made me feel slightly guilty.

" I bought Titan off your parents "

I was surprised, but also kinda not. Watching the way the huge stallion and Jake worked together during the flat work and jumping Ken put them through, it was obvious that they were a perfect pair. The stallion was feisty and hot, but Jake controlled him perfectly, clearing each jump as if it were a cross rail.

" And I'll be competing with him in Calgary this weekend... "

" What made you decide that? " Now I was surprised.

" Well, Sully told me that the top riders always bring two horses to every competition and it made me realize, Luna is amazing and she'll always be my number one, but she can't be the only horse I have to make it to the Olympics. At that rate, we'd crash after our first season in the advanced level... "