First Meetings {1}

{{August 14th, 1994
Melissa's residence.
Dallas, Texas
Kevin- 7|Joe- 5|Nick- 1 and eleven months}}

"So boys, we're gonna be on our best behavior while we're at Aunt Cindy's house, right?" Denise Jonas asked her sons as they walked up the sidewalk, with Kevin Sr

"So boys, we're gonna be on our best behavior while we're at Aunt Cindy's house, right?" Denise Jonas asked her sons as they walked up the sidewalk, with Kevin Sr. following behind the bunch.

Kevin nodded his head, smiling up at his mother, "of course we will! But I will be with Chris the whole time anyways. Right Joe?" Kevin explained, looking at his younger brother who was walking beside him.

Nick was in Denise's arms, quiet as he usually was, even with being a 2-year-old. Denise soon knocked on the door, and as the door opened, Cindy –Melissa's mother—stood in the doorway with a sleeping infant in her arms.

"Come in guys, come in!" Cindy exclaimed softly, opening the door wide for them to file in. The rambunctious boys all got very quiet as Cindy sat on the couch to hand Denise the little brown haired baby.

All three boys were mesmerized by her, but Nick was the one that took the most liking to her. He had never seen such a pretty baby before. To him, it was like he was meeting the most important person in his life—well, besides his mother that is--.

"Isn't she beautiful, Nicky?" Denise asked her son, who was anxious to touch the little girl. His little, chubby finger was held above the one-month old baby, and all he wanted to do was stroke her cheek.

There were all these odd feelings inside the toddler at that moment, but most importantly he thought; who was this girl?

Soon, Kevin and Joe made their way to Chris's room, and they began playing and doing things kids their age do; sports, games, and who knows what else.
----
Throughout the day, the boys asked Nick to come and play with them, but the almost 2-year-old refused to leave Melissa's side as Denise and Cindy sat on the couch and talked about everything that came to mind.

"Nicky, don't you want to go play with them?" Cindy asked him, but he just shook his head and let out a soft, "no. I stay with Lyss." he smiled at the two women, they let out a awwweee and let the little boy stay with his new best friend.

If only they knew what the future held...
----
{{September 20th, 1996.
Jonas Residence
Kevin- 8|Joe- 7|Nick- 4|Melissa- 2}}

"NICCCCKKK!!!" a curly haired toddler ran into the residence of the Jonases, with a dolly in one hand and her mother's hand in the other

"LYSSS!!" Nick exclaimed, his heart skipping a beat as he saw his young best friend, the two toddlers were basically inseparable. They never left each other when they were together, and if they weren't near each other; it may have well been because one of them got into some form of trouble.

Nick had been painting before they had arrived, stopping only for that split second to summon her over, "wanna paint?" he asked, and the little girl nodded enthusiastically.

Within minutes they were both covered in paint from head to toe, while Denise ran to the bedroom to find her camera, needing to capture this precious moment before the little rascals got away. When she made her way back, little Melissa was leaning over to give her best friend a cute little kiss on the lips, as in her toddler mind; it was harmless... wasn't it?
——-
Later that night:

Denise and Cindy were sitting on the couch as Melissa was snuggled up in Nick's side, as the little boy tried to pay attention to The Hunchback of Notre Dame that was playing on the screen.

"I think these two will honestly be together one day, dontcha think Cindy?" Denise asked her best friend as they watched their youngest children with pure admiration.

Cindy nodded, agreeing with the brunette woman, "I think so, they have such a strong connection with one another, it's incredible to watch how they interact and how protective he is of her."

At that moment, Joe and Chris were throwing pieces of popcorn at the now sleeping 2-year-old, Nick was not having that, so he scooted Melissa away from the boys as best as he could, trying to keep her away from them.

"Guyssss! Stop!" Nick whispered, not wanting the cute little girl beside him to wake up. He gave his brother and Chris the evil eye, all the while sticking his tongue out at them.

Every time Nick thought about her, or looked at her, he couldn't stop himself from loving her even more. Yes, he was so young... but there was something about Melissa... maybe it was how much she looked up to him, or the sweetest little giggle she let out as he told her a corny joke. Or maybe it was how she loved being around him. It made his head spin sometimes, but he couldn't help himself with already falling in love with her.
——-
{July 10th, 1999
Dallas, Texas
Toys R Us Store
Nick- 6|Mel-4}

Nick and his mother were walking down the aisle at the closest Toys R Us Store in the area, and Nick had been bugging his mom about going and getting his best friend the best birthday present in the world.

"Okay Nicky, you can get her one gift, Aunt Cindy said the she is really into The Little Mermaid at the moment." Denise told her son who was looking around at all the toys that were surrounding them.

It had taken about 30 minutes or so for them to find a Ariel doll that stood about 15 inches tall and came with a couple of outfits that could be put on her.

Nick automatically knew that the doll was the one for Melissa, as he knew her better than anyone, right?

"Are you sure this is the one you want to get her Nicky?" She smiled down at the 6 year old, knowing how much the little girl meant to him.

"Yup. I'm sure. She will love it." he said plainly, laughing slightly as he held the box to his chest.
———
They soon had paid for and wrapped the doll's box nicely, and made their way to the park where Melissa's 5th birthday party was to take place.

Once Nick had laid his eyes on the young girl, he bolted over to her, his little feet running as fast as they could.

Melissa, who was wearing the most beautiful little Ariel dress, let out a giggle as she was immediately engulfed in her best friends arms. "Hi Nicky." she blushed, her curly hair bouncing everywhere.

Throughout the whole party, Melissa stayed right by Nick's side, not wanting to be away from him at all

Throughout the whole party, Melissa stayed right by Nick's side, not wanting to be away from him at all. Her heart raced every time he was near her, and even though she didn't understand it... none of the feelings that swirled in her mind; made since. She knew that he was meant to be her best friend. That there was just something about the two of them....

...and that's how their love story began...
————————
{finished editing on 8/27/18}