HOW TO WRITE SONGS.4 ~

Part 4 of 6: Keeping Music in Mind

1)

Understand music notation. You probably remember hearing about the conservation of matter in your science classes (the idea that nothing is destroyed completely). Well, the same rule generally applies to music. Learn about how music notation works (bars, measures, notes, rests, etc) so that you can make sure your lyrics fit in with the music. The short version of the advice is that you should make sure your lines have roughly even syllables and that your rhythm stays steady (don't speed up too much to fit in extra words).

Think of a section of music as being like four cups of water. Now, you can pour half of one of the cups into a fifth cup, but that now means that you have two half-full cups. The first doesn't get any more water in it. You similarly can't add extra beats without making it up somewhere (usually with a pause).

2) Start with a melody already written. When you first start songwriting, if you're doing it on your own it's best to start with a melody already written. This is easier for most people than trying to create a melody which matches existing lyrics. You can write your own melody, work with a musically gifted friend, or you can adapt a classical melody, such as from old folk songs (just be sure to use songs in the public domain).

3) Stay in a single range. Not everyone has Mariah Carey's vocal range. When you come up with a melody, keep the notes within a reasonable range so that someone can actually sing it.

4)  Add in parts for the singer to take a breath. Singers are human too and they need to breathe. Put an extra two to four beats here and there that allow the singer to stop for a second to catch their breath. This also gives the listener a chance to take in what you are saying. [1]

A good example of this is the the USA's national anthem, after the line "For the land of the free". There is a pause before "And the home of the brave", which allows the singer to recover from the very powerful previous few bars.

- BHABYPANGET