Defend you

Jac stood for a second surveying the scene. Her husband, the man she loved more than life itself was still laid out cold. The man who was responsible still writhed in agony. She didn't know if the boys were safe.
As she considered her options of what to do next 3 police officers came running through the still open front door.
When Ella had been told to put the phone down, she had done that but did not press the button to end the call therefore the control room had heard everything. The address that came up automatically was also highlighted on the system as a high priority in case of Liam looking for his son.
They immediately had Liam in handcuffs at which point Jac again fell to her knees beside Fletch
"Fletch. Fletch come on sweetheart, it's Jac. Please wake up" as if her voice was all he needed Fletch began to come round.
"Urgh my head" he complained. Jac choked back a sob and kissed his forehead
"The boys" he said sitting up and wincing at the pain in his head and in his side
"Hey slow down" she ordered " he said they weren't at home, came back looking for Kieran when we pulled up"
"They had been playing football in the garden"
Jac and a police officer went out to the garden
Fletch, much to his annoyance was being checked over by the paramedics that had turned up.
"Theo, Kieran" she called
"Theo hun. It's Jac. I'm here with a police man"
Kieran and Theo looked at each other. Kieran was still wide eyed and scared but Theo had a big grin on his face "it's OK. It's Jac. Come on"
They emerged from the 'secret' way in under the decking
"What? All this time you could squeeze through there?" Jac laughed
She opened her arms to both of them
"Has he gone?" Kieran asked in a shakey voice
"Yes, the policeman took him away"
"We hid like Mummy told me to"
Jac felt sick at the thought of a child of his age having to be told that.
"Come on let's see what the others are up
to"
They made their way back into the house to find Ella and Emma talking to Fletch. They told him the course of events that had happened whilst he was out.
"She was amazing dad" said Ella " when he came over to us I thought she was gonna kill him but then she kneed him in the balls"
"I'm so glad you're safe" he said hugging them both "sorry I was no help "
"Fletch you were out cold " Jac said entering from the garden "what happened?"
"I answered the door. He was very well kempt. He said where is he, at which point I realised it was Kieran's Dad. Then he punched me and seemingly kicked me when I was down judging by the pain in my side"
Fletch spotted the boys and enveloped them in a huge Fletch hug
"These clever things hid in the garden Fletch when Kieran heard his Dad's voice - gotta tell you i now know where Mikey used to go" Fletch chuckled
They all gave statements. Jac wondered if Liam would press charges for her assaulting him.
The police officer grinned "what assault would that be Mrs Fletcher? It is my understanding there may have been some self defence occurring. Defending your children and Mr Fletcher"
Jac breathed a sigh of relief " thank you" she said sincerely
After the police had gone. Fletch apologised
"It should have me defending you all"
"Hey don't be silly" said Jac gently stroking his back "you had no chance to respond or fight back. He took you by surprise babe"
"Well he certainly did that. How you doing Kieran?"
"I'm OK. He hit mummy so hard she went to sleep for a bit once. When she woke up, that's when we left"
Jac phoned social services in case they had not been informed by the police about what had happened. They knew about Liam's arrest but no details. It was agreed that Kieran would be safe at the Fletchers tonight and someone would be round to re assess tomorrow.