Just lies

Logan and Virgil claimed they were platonically attracted to their soulmates, and it made sense. There were so many of them, they couldn't comprehend being in love with all of them. So they decided Roman and Patton were together, and the group was just a friend group. It was simple.

A year after this discovery, the group sat at their usual hang out spot, the cafe, but Patton wasn't as happy as he was before. He was wearing a dull smile, an empty one, that held no joy. Virgil was the first to notice, but Logan was the first to act on it.

"Patton, are you okay?" Logan asked. Patton tried to bite his tounge, but the words fell out anyway.

"No." Patton answered.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" Roman cooed.

"My brother, Dee, has liar's disspare." Patton started to cry. "Please don't ask me any more about it." 

"We won't." Virgil sighed. "Hey, how about we go to the dog park after this?" 

"I can't. I have to take care of Dee." The usually chipper boy mumbled, trying to wipe the tears away. 

"I can take care of him for you." Virgil claimed.

"Really?" Patton asked, his voice going more happy already, and Virgil didn't want to see that go.

"Yeah, I can take care of him while you go to the dog park." Virgil explained.

"Oh, thank you so much, Virgil!" The boy shouted, bouncing up and down. Soon the group finished their hot drinks and got out of their seats. Before Virgil could go to Patton's house, Roman pulled him aside. 

"Virgil, what's liar's disspare?" The slightly shorter asked.

"Really Roman, you need to pay attention in school." Virgil scolded. "It's when you don't meet your soulmate and they die. Usually the universe just doesn't give you a soulmate if you won't meet them before you die, but apparently Dee got unlucky. Dee can't tell the truth anymore." 

Roman stood aghast, "But, he's eleven. He lost his soulmate at eleven." 

"Why do you think Patton was crying?" Virgil asked.

"Okay, be safe. Your my soulmate too, and I don't want you to get hurt." Roman reminded him. 

"Fine, see you later. Don't throw one of your suprise sleepovers, and leave me there with Dee." Virgil requested. Roman waved bye without an answer, running to meet up with the other two. 

Virgil started to rethink his decision. Was it really a good idea? Was he responsible enough to handle Dee? Did he even know the boy enough to talk to him? All those were probably no's. 

But, nonetheless, Virgil got to Patton's house, ringing the doorbell. After a few minutes, Virgil heard the door open very slowly.

"What are you doing here?" A voice hissed.

"I'm here to babysit you." Virgil answered.

"Fantastic!" Dee swung the door open, marching back to his room. 

Virgil tried to stay calm.  The boy was going through a lot right now. But it was hard with how Dee was acting. 

"Have you eaten yet?" Virgil asked, his voice soft.

"Yes!" Dee shouted, furrowing his brows.

"Sit over at the table. Can you tell me what you want to eat?" Virgil questioned.

"Not a ham sandwich and chips." Dee groaned. Virgil got out the food, making it quickly.

"Need anything else?" Virgil sighed. Dee nodded his head, then tried to shake it again, only resulting in a nod. "Hey, it's cool, I understand." 

"Yes, you do." Dee grumbled, "You don't have three soulmates who love you. I met my soulmate. They even knew me. I can only tell the truth now!" Dee was crying at this point. Virgil was so glad Patton wasn't here to see. Just imagining Patton having to figure out how to deal with this broke his heart. Virgil was on the edge of tears.

"Calm down. After you eat, do you want to do anything?" Virgil mumbled, trying to not burst out into tears. What if this was what happened to their group? No, that's impossible, they seemed complete, unless, they had another soulmate. Virgil shook the thought from his head.

"No, let's not just watch some stupid TV." Dee sighed, rubbing the tears away. Virgil handed Dee the tissues. "No thanks." Dee replied, picking out some soft, thin paper. Soon, the liar finished his food, and the two sat on the couch, scrolling through the channels. "Not that!" Dee piped up, with a smile on his face.

Virgil smiled, watching the younger stare at the snakes on screen as they were put into a magic hat. Virgil decided it wouldn't hurt to look at his phone, so he pulled up his messages from the group. Patton and Roman were sending cute pictures of eachother. And Logan sent a simple, "How dare you leave me with these two." It made Virgil smile. After a couple more hours of Virgil playing music on his phone and Dee watching TV, the younger got bored.

"What are you listening to?" Dee asked.

"Emo bands." Virgil chuckled.

"Can I hear?" Dee requested. Virgil shrugged and unplugged his headphones. Virgil sang along, quietly. "I haven't heard this one before!" Dee lied. "Pat didn't play it." 

Virgil looked down to the title of the song, "Heartbreaker" by Marina and the diamonds. Did Patton actually like the song he was humming the other day?

Virgil didn't have time to think about it, as he was sent a text. "We're coming back, see you in a little." Patton sent him. 

"Well, you wanna do something else while we wait?" Virgil asked. 

Dee nodded, "Can we not listen to your music?" 

"Sure," Virgil replied, playing another song, a more emo song by Green Day.

After a couple minutes, the doorbell rang, Virgil jumped up, opening the door.

"Virgil, are you bringing the poor boy to the dark side, first Patton and now his brother." Roman sighed dramatically. Virgil paused the music, much to Dee's dislike. 

"Well, I guess it's time for me to go." Virgil sighed. Dee handed him his phone. 

"I hope I never see you again, Virgil." Dee smiled.

"Same here." Virgil laughed, walking to the door, turning to Patton. "Pat, he's going to be fine, don't worry about him." The emo reassured.

"Thanks, Virge. See you, tomorrow?" Patton asked, with his smile as large as it had ever been.

"Yeah, bye." Virgil smirked, doing his two finger salute, before walking out, and waiting for the other two. The other soulmates said their goodbyes, then left to join Virgil. 

"So, is everything okay?" Logan asked.

"Yeah." Virgil smiled with certainty.