I like you, romantically

Thank you all so much.

It was a long time later, when the group had all moved out together, and were done with their education, for something different to happen. The years in between Virgil had been diagnosed with anxeity after having a panick attack at school, Roman got a job at theatre and part time at a restaurant, and Logan began working as a teacher. Patton made stuffed animals and sold them online, and Virgil worked at a pet store. It all worked out fine. Patton and Roman were together, and Virgil and Logan were still trying to figure stuff out

But Virgil felt like they shouldn't be this way. He wanted to hold Patton softly in his sleep, kiss Roman's dumb face, even give cliche roses to Logan, simply to watch the man's face of happy suprise. He felt dumbstruck when one of them smiled in actual joy. And it tore him apart to watch any of them sulk. This wasn't the platonic love it was before when they were kids.

But how was he supposed to tell them that now? They had fallen into this state they wouldn't be able to get out of. Patton and Roman go on a date while Logan and Virgil read books or stay do something alone. Patton and Roman cuddle on the couch while Logan and Virgil sit in the arm chairs. Patton and Roman do everything together while Logan and Virgil are alone. It was unlikely that the two lovebirds would willingly take Virgil into their relationship, and even then, it would be awkward, just as it always would be. The two had been together since they were little kids, how was Virgil supposed to compete with that?

He was mean; unlike Patton, self-deprecating; unlike Roman, and irrational; unlike Logan. He wasn't like any of them at all. Virgil was the single cloud in a sunny day. How could he ruin their happiness, like that? 

Virgil got up when he heard a knock on his door. He opened the door slowly, checking who it was. Logan stood at the door, in a uniform posture, that looked natural on the smaller.

"Virgil, are you okay?" Logan asked.

"I don't know." Virgil replied honestly, he wasn't exactly "not okay", but he wasn't jumping off the walls happy either. 

"Let me in and we can talk about it." Logan suggested. Virgil sighed and let the more intelligent man in. Virgil and Logan sat on the purple bed, the door closed and locked behind them. "Okay, now tell me what's on your mind." Logan requested. Virgil didn't want to say it.

"I want to tell you, but I'm afraid how you'll react." The man with eyeshadow under his eyes claimed. 

"Virgil, no matter what you say, I will still care for you. You are still my soulmate no matter what you've done." The boy with glasses reminded him.

"Okay, I think-" Virgil caught himself off to breath and think about what he was going to say. "I like you all romantically; you, Patton, and Roman."  

"Did you read my diary?" Logan's eyes widened and voice hitched.

"No, why would you think that?" Virgil rubbed the back of his neck. 

"I wrote down in detail that I love all of you romantically and that I wish I hadn't established myself as a platonic soulmate so soon." Logan admitted, his cheeks were dusted in a ruby red.

"So, what do we do?" Virgil mumbled.

"For once, I have no clue. Emotional problems like this are not my strong suit. People are unpredictable, even if those people are Patton and Roman. There is a slim chance they might reject us, and that would not be idle for our relationship." Logan hummed.

"That's not the problem. This is Patton and Roman, they'd take us into their relationship with open arms. The thing is, they'd do it if they liked us or not. They're nice like that. But, it would be so uncomfortable. We'd end up just being on the side while they kiss and hug on eachother." Virgil explained.

"True. That does sound like them. But, I love Patton and you so much, even Roman. It feels so weird to say. I love you, even though I'm your soulmate, I've never said it before. Why couldn't we have just waited to say something about platonic soulmates?" Logan scolded himself.

"'Cause we were dumb kids. It was stupid." Virgil complained.

"So," Logan sighed, "what do we do?" Virgil sat silently for a second. "We could-" Logan cut himself off.

"What is it?" The lanky man questioned.

"We could date eachother until we think of something different. I care for you deeply, so we could just do that until we think of how to tell Patton and Roman." The shorter suggested.

Virgil sat quietly, thinking it over. "Yeah," he murmured, "yeah, we can do that." 

Logan scooted closer to Virgil, "Virgil," Logan directed the attention onto himself. "Can I kiss you?" Virgil nodded softly. Their lips met softly, both a little chapped, but nice. It was both their first kiss, so they had no idea what to do. But it was nice. Virgil thought for a second he might be fine with just Logan.