Lost Boy

Warning? Self doubt?

Rem woke up to someone shaking him, calling out his name. He sat up to find the one who woke him to be Patton. He had to squint from the light pouring into the room.

"Hey, bud. How'd you sleep?" Patton asked, handing Rem his sunglasses.

"Great, sugar. How 'bout you?" The coffee lover admitted, putting on his shades so everything wasn't so bright.

"Good." Patton replied honestly. "We should go home." 

"Yeah, got anything else ya' need before we go?" Rem raised a brow.

"Nope, let's just put these covers up, then we can go." The smaller shrugged, grabbing the pile of fabric, before shoving it in the back. The two got up and ran to their car. They buckled in before heading home. 

When they got home, Patton practically ran to the front door, and flung himself inside, with Rem trailing close behind. They found that the rest of the group was watching cartoons in the living room. Logan got up once he noticed the others, and walked calmly over to Patton, who was wearing a guilty smile. 

Logan took one deep breath before, "Patton, do you understand what you have done? You made all of us worry and fret over you and Rem. This was a terrible oversight on both your parts and you need to be more cautious. This is the exact reason we don't let you go out on your own. And then you got in trouble with the law by breaking in?" Logan scoffed running a hand through his hair.

"What do you all think we're in? A sitcom with no consequences? You can't just break into a pet shop because you want to pet some dogs. I know you want a pet but you have to understand, that just can't happen with the apartment we're living in. And you can't just go to Virgil's job everyday. You scared us so much, Patton!" Logan continued to ramble, the subjects mashing together, until Virgil walked up behind Logan and tapped his shoulder. Then Logan let Virgil talk.

"Just don't do it again is all, alright. We all know you guys give me enough heart attacks being stupid while I'm there with you. I don't need to have a heart attack every time you are out of my line of sight. 'Kay?" Virgil crossed his arms. Both of his soulmates nodded, cursing themselves.

The group split ways after that. Virgil went to listen to music in the living room, Patton decided to make pillows in his room, and Rem had no idea what the other two were doing. He just listened to some musicals and took a nap at some point while the others did their thing. Logan was ruder to Patton and Rem when they interacted, but it wasn't a huge thing, at least not for them. They made a mistake that they shouldn't have and they should be sorry for it. Someone didn't see it that way.

Patton and Virgil decided to sleep together in Patton's room so Rem could have Virgil's. So that left Rem alone, in Virgil's room, with just his thoughts. He couldn't sleep because he already had earlier. Unluckily for Rem and the two who weren't connected, Rem liked to sleep against the paper thin walls, Logan's room was right next to Virgil's, and the fact Rem couldn't help but eavesdrop.

"You shouldn't be so mean to Patton." Roman claimed.

"He gave Virgil an anxiety attack. I don't know about you, but I believe that's a good enough reason to be less than kind to him. He'll learn from his lesson and never do it again." Logan sighed.

"It was an honest mistake. He'd never do it intentionally." Roman waved his hands around in his typical dramatic way.

"Yes, none of us would hurt any of the others intentionally, but here we are. With all of us shaken because we were scared for someone when nothing was wrong, because they couldn't answer one of our text." Logan turned on his heel, furrowing his brows.

"You don't need to be so mean to him. Rem probably convinced him to do it. He seems like the trouble maker type." Roman crossed his arms. Well, Roman wasn't wrong about Rem being a trouble maker. 

"Yes, Rem may have. I don't like him either. But, he is still Virgil's soulmate. And if Rem did convince Patton to do it, then Patton should have recognized that that was a poor idea. He's an adult, Roman. He must learn not to give into peer pressure." Logan rolled his eyes. "I just hope that Patton doesn't fall in love with him like he seems to be doing."

"Why's that?" Roman raised a brow.

"He not Patton's soulmate, and if they were to be together they should be connected. It's simply going to be heartbreak for Patton." And Rem.

The eavesdropper had to admit, Logan had a point. Sure, there were couples that weren't soulmates, and they were fine, but Patton already had three soulmates. He already loved so many people, what would Rem be to him. Rem would always be less worth while to him than the others. But at least Rem had Virgil, right?

But why would Virgil want him? He had three other soulmates. He was fine without Rem. And on the first full day Rem was there, he took one of them away. Virgil probably hated him for that. But, that was fine! They were soulmates, so everything would work out, right? 

No, there was plenty of documentations of soulmates hating and even killing eachother. Maybe the universe messed up with them. Maybe the universe messed up with him and Virgil.

Why would Rem only be connected to Virgil? Why would he only be connected to Virgil and not anyone else? Virgil already had so many soulmates, what was going to happen if he lost one that he hardly knew? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Because Virgil wasn't around him enough to care about him. They hardly knew eachother. The only reason Virgil was crying was because he thought Patton was in danger. Because Rem let Patton get in danger.

If Rem had just thought for a second, he could have brought Patton home, safe. If he just looked out the window and realized it was about to start to storm, none of the others would have worried. But of course, he was too impulsive. So he went with Patton to the pet store and got both of them stuck in that place. 

And then Rem fell in love with Patton, in the first month of knowing him. It was something you'd hear about between soulmates. But Rem wasn't connected to Patton, and yet, Rem had fallen in love with Patton before Virgil. He didn't feel anything for Virgil, yet. But when he thought of Patton, his heart swooned.

And why did Virgil need Rem anyway? Logan would go on about eachother being needed for eachother's happiness, but Virgil had been happy without him. Virgil didn't need him. No one needed him. 

And guess what, Rem didn't need them either. They were too close to let him in, so they were going to make him feel left out and ostracized. He might as well just leave before he has to experience that. 

Yeah, he doesn't need a soulmate! He doesn't need Virgil! He doesn't need Patton! He doesn't need any of them!

 He could leave right now and no one would care. No one would spare a second glance. He would just go back home and disappear. Hang out with his friends and ignore the fact he met his soulmate. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, right? A soulmate was only the person you couldn't lie to. A soulmate wasn't vital to your happiness like Logan insisted. Otherwise why could people without soulmates still be happy? It didn't make sense. Rem didn't need Virgil to feel happy.

So, to prove that to himself, he packed his clothes, got in his car, and left. Left to do what he wanted, because his soulmate didn't need him. His soulmate had plenty of people who could love him more. It hurt to leave, but he did it anyway. 

He needed to find someone who would actually care for him. Not just leave him out because he wasn't a part of their group for as long. He needed to find someone who would love him, without a soulmate bond helping or getting in the way.

But he could find that person later. Right now, was the time to forget about Virgil and Patton and prove that he didn't need a soulmate. Prove that he didn't need Virgil to be happy. Prove to his friends that soulmate bonds are stupid. Prove that it was stupid to fall in love with a person he had known for little more than a week. Prove that he wasn't unhappy all these years without Virgil. He needed to prove that to himself.