Ch.1 Connor

I made it up to the rooftop. I took the air into my lungs and smiled to myself as all the anger I felt before melted away with the breeze.

I knew today was the day I was going to do it. I finally built up the confidence to commit suicide. To say goodbye to this world and to all of the people in it.

But just before I could take my shoes off and do it I saw a girl with braided hair there. It was Alana Beck, the smartest, most put together girl in the school.

She looked just about ready to jump down. Before I could even think of why she would do this, I screamed out, "Hey! Don't do it, please!"

Right after I said it I got quiet. I don't know why I said that or how it slipped out. I was honestly kind of mad she was here. Why was she here? She had the best life out of all of us at this school and here she was about to waste it.

Alana turned around and gave me a small smile. Then she started talking about why she was out here, "you've probably heard it all before." She gave out a dry laugh, a laugh someone who was just about to kill them self would use. "I really thought he would be the one, but then he told me he was done."

I boiled with anger, that's why she was going to throw it all away?! That's why she was gonna give it all up?! Because some stupid guy broke her heart??

I voiced my opinion and did it in a very angry way too. But what was I supposed to do, not get mad at her for this stupid reason?

"For god's sake please?! Are you serious?! I just can't believe that for some stupid reason, you got here before me? Are you upset cause you can't have what you wanted?! You're lucky that you've never gotten robbed of anything!!"

She looked down sadly and nodded, walking away from the ledge. She walked up beside me and put a hand on my shoulder, like she was trying to comfort me. And, in a small whisper, she said, "I'm feeling better, thank you for listening."

Then she turned her head away from me and walked back into the building, away from the ledge. I was feeling too exhausted after that to take off my shoes and jump so I turned and followed after her.

'Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow...' I kept repeating in my head. 'Tomorrow is the day that I'll finally be gone and I'll stop hurting myself and everyone I talk to.'

With one last look at the ledge and one last minute to spare before I had to head home I waited for the breeze to pick up and blow my hair away from my face. The sunset sure was pretty from up here.

I walked back into the building and down the steps and back into my car to go home. Maybe tomorrow I'll get better by some miracle and not want to go back up to the ledge.

Little did I know, tomorrow wasn't going to be any different than today was.