Ch.23 Evan

I felt a small nudge on my head. I looked up to see the teacher staring down at me disapprovingly.

"Talk to me after class, Evan," she said before walking back to her desk. I felt some eyes on me.

Anxiety trickled into my stomach. It wasn't the anxiety I had before but it was different. I was worried about something, not the teacher after school, but... someone.

Something was wrong. My gut was clearly screaming that something happened and that something was wrong.

I started tapping my pencil, getting lost in thought. I kept thinking about all the things that could be wrong before I heard the phone ring.

The teacher walks over to it and picks up.

"Hello," she asks. "Yes, I'll send him down right away." She turns to me and smiles, "you're going to the front office, take your backpack with you."

I nod and walk out of the room, my head low. I knew it. I knew something was wrong. I felt it in my gut and I was right.

I sped up a little, my mind overworking itself on all the things that could've happened. They all circled around one thing, one person.

Connor.

I was worried. What if Connor was hurt? What if Connor died? What happened? Is Connor okay?

When I got to the office I was out of breath. I really needed to work out more. I trudged into the front office, worry dragging me down.

"Is-is e-everything okay," I ask. My mom is sitting there, Connor's mom next to her.

Connor's mom is dabbing her eyes with tissues and my mom seems to be very silent. My mom seems to be trying to match the mood while also not really understanding it.

Mrs. Murphy turns to me, "Evan, you were such an amazing friend to Connor. An amazing boyfriend if what I heard from Heidi here is correct."

I felt my body go rigid. She said I was. She said, and I quote, 'you were'. What happened? My gut twisted and I started shaking.

"Connor lost his memories, Evan. He can only remember certain things. He can only remember the most important parts of his life," Mrs. Murphy lets out a chocked sob.

I can feel a sob rising in my throat but I fight it down, instead opting to hold my hand over my mouth and look down.

"He keeps asking for you, Evan. He says he's met all us before, he wants to remember who Evan is. Please come with us to the hospital. Your mom said it was okay," Mrs. Murphy coaxed me.

I couldn't say no. Even if I could, I wouldn't. Connor was hurt. Connor didn't remember anything. He didn't remember me.

I felt tears run down my cheeks. Mrs. Murphy comes up and hugs me before ushering me and my mom out the door.

Connor is hurt. Connor is in the hospital. Connor can't remember much.

What happened?