Ch.14 Evan

I opened my eyes groggily. Connor was no longer next to me. 'He must've left,' I thought to myself.

The smell of something cooking hit my nose. I bolt up. Mom must be home and she's cooking breakfast.

I go over to the kitchen and hear voices. My mom and... Connor? They're talking about something.

I walk into the kitchen and ask, "mom, Connor. What are you guys talking about? Also, are those pancakes?"

There's a plate with 5 pancakes stacked on top of each other in the kitchen island. There's a pan on the stove, with something cooking on it.

Mom and Connor or standing in between the two of them. Talking, presumably.

"Evan, honey. I was just meeting your friend here," mom comes closer to me, arms spread wide as she pulled me in for a hug.

I hugged back. This was one of the few times that I got to see my mom. I wasn't going to waste it.

"So who's this, Evan," asks mom, gesturing to Connor.

"Oh! This is my friend, Connor."

Connor face falls a little before quickly going back. I felt a pang in my chest but I chose to ignore it.

Mom smiles widely, "really? You sure?"

She knows something. I felt my heart start beating faster as I stuttered out, "I have to take my pills. I'll just get going. Be back soon."

I rushed out of the room. I heard my mom say something to Connor but I didn't know what. I continued walking until I was in the bathroom.

She knows something. It can't be that bad, I mean, mom hasn't gotten mad at me before. So she won't be mad now.

I take deep breaths, trying to calm myself down. My brain felt like it was buzzing. I realized that I was desperately trying to get air in, gasping for breaths.

I tried to focus on what I came up here to do. Pills, I need to take my pill. I open up the drawer under the sink and pull out the small orange bottle.

One pill, two pills. I'm supposed to take two pills. I tried to dump them into my hand but my hands were shaking too much.

Mom knows something. It can't be something good. But I didn't get in trouble so it can't be bad, right? Right?

It wasn't long before I realized I had dropped the entire bottle, pills spilling all over the ground. I stared at the floor, the place the orange bottle laid.

How did I mess up so bad? Why? What does mom know?

I felt tears running down my cheeks. My heart was finally slowing but it did seem to serve much purpose now that I was crying.

I slowly went down to the ground, curling up on myself. My nose was clogging up with snot and so being able to breath was there for only a moment.

I closed my eyes and wanted to put my hands over my ears but I couldn't move. I didn't want to move. The slightest movement and I would break down entirely.

Mom knows something. Then I heard a knock at the door.

"Evan?"