Ch.3 Connor

'Today's the day!' I thought as I walked out and onto the roof. I didn't notice the person there until after I took both my shoes off.

He stood there, staring off the edge, like he was questioning wether or not people would miss him if he fell. And even though the kid was an insufferable shortie, I still felt the urge to talk him out of this.

"Jared," I asked carefully, as to not scare him into falling off the roof. He turned quickly but kept a death grip on the railing that was supposed to keep people on the building.

He looked like I just killed his family and I was about to come after him. He cowered in fear, making him look shorter than he actually was.

"P-please don't tell Evan you saw me up here. I can't imagine how it'd affect him if I jumped. Or if he at least heard I was thinking about it."

Jared sighed and slowly turned around but before he could jump I said something I couldn't believe I would say twice in my lifetime.

"Hey, don't do it, please."

Jared turned around again, looking confused but somewhat grateful that I said this. He flashed me a small smile, a genuine one not one of his shit eating grins.

And he felt free to do the same thing Alana did, tell me his troubles. I was surprised he had any considering he had friends, or a friend, and he was such an asshole.

"You've probably heard it all before. Everyone ignores me, everyone steals, I don't fit in with anyone here."

I couldn't help but double back in anger. He had Evan! He had his 'camp friends'. He had a full and intact happy family. And he wants to throw it all away because some kids were a dick to him! He was a dick to everyone else! Even his own friends!

I screamed out at him, "for god's sake, please! Are you serious?! I just can't believe that for some stupid reason you got here before me! Cause even so you're still loved by everyone at home, there's always dinner waiting on the table, you know!"

Jared smiled again but this time tears were streaming down his face. He started to walk towards me and towards the exit. While passing me he said, "I'm hungry..."

I knew what he meant and watched him walk off. I didn't notice it before but my eyes were tearing up. I rubbed the tears away violently, I wasn't supposed to get so emotional over this stuff.

As much as I loved the fact that I could finally jump off the rooftop, I decided against it. It was late and rush hour was just beginning. If I did it now people would notice me falling and call an ambulance. And that wouldn't be good because then I'd survive this and everyone would know I'd tried to kill myself.

After waiting a minute in the cool night air I headed back towards the door. As much as I loved it up here with the breeze and the view I knew I'd have to head home at some point.

Maybe tomorrow I'd have better luck. Hopefully, tomorrow I'd have better luck.